voids in solder

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn’t a lot of joints look like this if we took the time to cut a cross section? I mean its solid all the through which makes the seal. I would be curious to take a sample of 100 plumbers solder jobs and see how much this actually happens. My guess it’s in all work.

My problem is I use too much solder. Richard From TOH insists that you only need a little bit to flow around the pipe. I’ve always used map gas and only takes a few seconds to heat up.

Wouldn’t a lot of joints look like this if we took the time to cut a cross section? I mean its solid all the through which makes the seal. I would be curious to take a sample of 100 plumbers solder jobs and see how much this actually happens. My guess it’s in all work..

I fully agree with you. According to the article I posted it's rare to have no voids at all. But there's for sure a way to reduce voids. Also I think a lot of the videos on youtube explaining how to solder have unacceptable voids (per the 30% rule).

Very interesting topic. I have never peel joints to see if they fill 100%.
Going to have to experiment and see what happens. I’m a bit of a sloppy soldered. Got my curiosity up.

Going to have to experiment and see what happens
Hope you'll post the result : )

I tried to tin the pipe (removed excess solder with a rag on the second attempt). Result was no voids on the pipe but two bad ones on the fitting...Here is a pic: solder4.jpg

Last edited:
The solution to avoid these voids was to use a heat gun, I had perfect results using one. I think with a torch, the pipe is becoming somewhat oval, and this is causing the voids.

Also I noticed, with another brand of 1/2 inch copper pipes with a slightly lower diameter, these pipes were a bit lose in the fitting, I had a lot less voids (however I found solder inside the pipe which is not good).

Last edited:
A solder joint doesn’t need to be full to provide service until the pipe wears out.

Is a full joint ideal ? Yes !

Is a full joint required ? No !

Solder joints will hold thousands of pounds of pressure in typical residential sizes.

That’s the way the cookie crumbles.

Latest posts

Back