Vintage pedestal sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilla

Reaction score
Hi :) I bought this pretty unit several years ago from a prominent Seattle store selling architectural salvage . . . which is to suggest surely it should work? Yet contractor tells me its innards preclude my using it in my brand new hundred year olde house. I'm wondering if contractor and his plumber don't want to be bothered or if in fact they're right such that I am looking at a dump fee. :mad:

IMG_3603.jpg

I bought this pretty unit several years ago from a prominent Seattle store selling architectural salvage . . . which is to suggest surely it should work?

Yet contractor tells me its innards preclude my using it in my brand new hundred year olde house. I'm wondering if contractor and his plumber don't want to be bothered or if in fact they're right such that I am looking at a dump fee. :mad:

What a beautiful sink!

The drain connection could be the sticking point

The problem is it will not meet any plumbing code. There is no air gap between the water entering the basin and the spout (which is none existent)

...hmm...

There is no way an inline hidden air gap could be employed to circumvent this?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Research This- http://www.oldplumbfixer.com/

Also GOOGLE ANTIQUE PLUMBING for more possible leads.

Here is what appears to be a similar sink with fixures-

334_coral1.jpg

Research this URL- http://vintageplumbing.com/home.html

Please keep us informed as to what you find or decide to do... :cool:

Your antique sink can be used, You will have to get a "Variance" from your local plumbing inspector.

the code says that the spout shall have a minimum 1'' air gap between the spout and the flood level rim.

your sink does not have that.

BUT, your sink does have a overflow opening below the spout.

SO, The INTENT of the code is their, and can be argued that the water will not enter the spout from the basin, because of the overflow.

An open minded inspector, can issue a "Variance" for this fixture.

Contact your local plumbing inspector, have a meeting , it would be worth your time to do so.

I had an old claw foot tub,same situation, after a 5 minute meeting, a variance was issued

if you dont want that sink, i would be happy to take it off your hands
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ;)

Last edited:
Your antique sink can be used, You will have to get a "Variance" from your local plumbing inspector.

Here we go. Now where are my notes... :mad:

the code says that the spout shall have a minimum 1'' air gap between the spout and the flood level rim.

I was going to ask that. Does the overflow opening technically lower the flood level on the sink? Does the spout (cast in I would suppose) employ an aerator ... :confused:

SO, The INTENT of the code is their, and can be argued that the water will not enter the spout from the basin, because of the overflow.

Contact your local plumbing inspector, have a meeting , it would be worth your time to do so.

I had an old claw foot tub,same situation, after a 5 minute meeting, a variance was issued

Last edited:
technically, if the drain is stopped up, so is the overflow

120vac40a_rev (1).jpg

I was going to ask that. Does the overflow opening technically lower the flood level on the sink? Does the spout (cast in I would suppose) employ an aerator ...

air gap.

the unobstructed vertical distance through the free atmosphere between the lowest opening from any pipe,or faucet conveying potable water to the flood level rim of tank, vat or fixture

Last edited:
Wow People. You are wonderful, providing advice as you are. I have now heard from Walter Palmer, the Old Plumb Fixer. Had to smile. He comes across as, um, spirited, indeed so delightfully spirited that I think not to share his counsel on this public forum, if you receive my meaning. :) Feeling a tad overwhelmed at this point, I'm thinking to post the sink on Craig's List along with the stipulation that it go to a pro to whom your counsel will make sense. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.

Feeling a tad overwhelmed at this point, I'm thinking to post the sink on Craig's List along with the stipulation that it go to a pro to whom your counsel will make sense.

Listen, I understand your hesitancy in trying to plumb in that fixture even as beautiful as it is.

Some of these vintage plumbing sites offer buy fixtures such as yours. I would rather (not that it matters in the real world) see it sold to someone that would truly appreciate it and try to find it a good home rather that selling it outright to whomever.

KULTULZ- Feely all misty about this sink and desiring it find a proper home... :(

Frodo Continues said:

OK, I think it is starting to sink in (get it? Sink in :rolleyes: )

Code stipulates a (minimum?) 1" air gap between faucet spout and flood level rim regardless of whether there is an overflow option or not. His only avenue/option is a variance issued by the local AHJ.

THANX for the clarification and education frodo... :D

It would be in Mirilla's best interest to have a talk with the local plumbing inspector.

I fully agree. It would be such a shame to not be able to use that sink.

KULTULZ- Nostalgic overload of old houses, cars, road tractors and cocktail waitresses wearing Dolly Parton wigs... :p

I would take the valve off and use

sotc-single-tap-basin-faucet-set-s0012c.jpg

with porcelain handles. but thats just me

it would be retro looking and legal

But would the original outlet (as cast) still be subject to absence of a proper air gap? Wouldn't it have to be defeated in some manner?

I wish I could see how the spigot (proper term ?) is cast into the sink bowl.

Pedestal Sink _1 (Code Calls For 1in Air Gap).jpg

Pedestal Sink _2 (w Fixtures).jpg

Air Gap -Lavatory Sink Sown.jpg

if, the valve's were used that i have posted. then it would have the air gap.

the old spout would not be hooked up or used.

I hate to be annoying frodo- :eek:

So if there were spigots installed as you suggest, there could be little chance of the original spout opening being mistakenly used as an overflow (drain blockage)?

Would you possibly want to block it (original cast-in spout) off with caulk?

Latest posts

Back