Vibration from water well pump - Water Pump Switch as cause?

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

bbp

Reaction score
Could it be the pressure tank?
It looks as though you only isolated the switch from the main feed. What you need to do is cut out a section of the 3/4" copper ABOVE all that and isolate all pump components from the house plumbing.
Thats my.02 worth.

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
Put in one flex section below the pressure gauge.
And another flex above the ball valve.

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
You can use Sharkbite flex lines and Sharkbite fittings.
Or just use compression fittings on the copper, to add male or female adapters as needed.

Be sure to use flex hoses the same diameter as the copper lines, or even one size up

Bucky Plumber

Reaction score
You can use Sharkbite flex lines and Sharkbite fittings.
Or just use compression fittings on the copper, to add male or female adapters as needed.

Be sure to use flex hoses the same diameter as the copper lines, or even one size up
The biggest Sharkbite diameter I can find that they make is 3/4".

Bucky Plumber

Reaction score
@Twowaxhack

Very interesting and thorough article but I dont think my setup has either of those problems. Definitely doesn't short cycle and it doesn't seem to have pressure switch chatter. The switch kicks on and runs consistently, with a vibration/hum from somewhere in the system, until it reaches 60 psi.

Valveman

Pump Controls Tech
Professional
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@Twowaxhack

Very interesting and thorough article but I dont think my setup has either of those problems. Definitely doesn't short cycle and it doesn't seem to have pressure switch chatter. The switch kicks on and runs consistently, with a vibration/hum from somewhere in the system, until it reaches 60 psi.
I hear this all the time. "My pump doesn't rapid cycle. I only hear it click every 5 minutes or so when using water." Well there are 1440 minutes in a day and a cycle every 5 minutes can be almost 300 cycles per day. This will kill a pump but when standing there listening to it the thing doesn't sound like it is cycling very often. Cycling every 5 minutes adds up quickly. And if it cycles every 2 minutes is is even worse. Any damage done to the pump/motor that could be causing the noise was probably also caused by cycling the pump.