Vibration from water well pump heard on floors above

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds like something best left to a professional or is there any easy way for a novice to do that?

Sometimes the vibration is from a resonance. The length of pipe can accidentally be the right length to be tuned exactly to the pump resonant frequency. Shortening or lengthening the drop pipe even a foot or two will usually stop that. Adding a flexible piece also works.

So that would be a flexible piece like below on the pipes in the basement? I was thinking the length of the well pipe needed to be adjusted.

Others have been suggesting this also. I have tried several attempts to dampen the vibration on the basement pipe without success so I am skeptical that this will work.

MAS_CPSB_15x12.jpg
20200206_105440.jpg

The short piece of flexible tube dampens and also cuts the antenna length of the pipe.

Cut the pipe somewhere above the junction boxes there on the wall.
Buy a short flex hose such as one for a water heater or water softener, with the correct size female fittings.
Yours looks like 3/4 iron pipe size but not sure.

Buy two sharkbite or brass compression adapters with that same size male threaded ends.

Cut out a section of hard pipe, attach new adapters, attach flex hose to them.

Be sure to protect junction boxes and everything else from water while doing this.

If you are afraid or can’t make a decision, call a pro.

Back