Very odd garden faucet thread

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some spigots have the vacuum breaker integrated into the body of the faucet, so you will not see the doohickey added to the end of the faucet.
Instead, you will usually see a big shiny plastic nut or cap, at the top of the spigot.

Interesting. My spigot doesn't have a vacuum breaker, plumber replaced about 10 yrs ago, and neither does my neighbor who got a new one last year. I wonder if it's not required by code. Maybe my friend can just remove it and connect the hose directly, assuming the threads line up. The spigot is probably over 20 yrs old so not the new type.
Here in Virginia it is a code requirement. If, and when, I try and sell the house I will install one just to keep the pre-sales inspection team (dang HOA) happy. I'd remove it and give it a shot if I were advising your friend.

It does beg that question, at least for me, since I have a twenty-five (25) foot hose and the hose is never submersed, what sort of crap are they trying to protect against being siphoned back into the home water system or do I have the wrong idea about what it's supposed to be doing?

Sometimes a hose end is left in a dirty bucket, or a neglected kiddie pool, garden pond, etc.
Or the water just trapped in the hose turns foul after days of exposure.
And if the water pressure in the house goes to zero, that yuck water can get slowly sucked back through the hose, into the plumbing system.
If the hose spigot has a slow leak, for example.

Some spigots have the vacuum breaker integrated into the body of the faucet, so you will not see the doohickey added to the end of the faucet.
Instead, you will usually see a big shiny plastic nut or cap, at the top of the spigot.
Ah, so that's what the large thing is at the top, thanks for clarifying.

Attachments

• 16312965347886394764702204836381.jpg
    16312965347886394764702204836381.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
If your on a private well system it may not be required, but still a good idea. I think you can still buy sillcocks either way.

Latest posts

Back