Vent Pipe on Water Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdub4

Reaction score
I recently had a new roof put on the house and, while in the attic inspecting things, I noticed the vent pipe is larger than the vent hood. The pipe does come down to the lip of the hood and catches on the lip, but wondering if that is enough? Or do I need to have an adapter to connect the two together to prevent any movement? Tape?

I assume this is how the plumber installed it (never paid attention when they did it) and only noticed because the vent pipe was moved while they did work on the roof. TIA
View attachment IMG_0770.mov

The inner sleeve of the vent pipe should be in contact with the draft hood, however, it is all drafting, literally and not likely to be a problem.
Be sure to have CO detector in the area if it is a confined space.

The inner sleeve of the vent pipe should be in contact with the draft hood, however, it is all drafting, literally and not likely to be a problem.
Be sure to have CO detector in the area if it is a confined space.
Thanks for the reply. It is in an upstairs attic and have read not to put CO detectors in an attic due to temperature extremes in summer/winter. We are in Texas so it gets very hot in the summer. We do have a detector in the hallway directly below the attic. Should I put some tape around the pipe for additional “support”?

Latest posts

Back