vent pipe around a bearing post ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingwhistle

Reaction score
Hello,
We are removing the upper half of a kitchen wall, which will make a nice visual connection to the living room. Part of the countertop is on that wall, so it will become an island (kind of). the house is a flat roof, single story.
The part of the job which I am unsure about is moving the vent pipe. The sink is located on the countertop where we intend to remove the upper half of wall. Naturally, there is a vent pipe in the wall right there. Moving the vent pipe to the right would be easy enough with a couple of 90 elbows and a new hole in the roof BUT...
The wall is bearing load, and one of the load bearing posts will be in between where the vent pipe is now, and where I want it hidden. It seems unwise to drill through this post ?!
Can I go around the post ?? It would mean 4 elbows, and the vent pipe would be visible under the sink. Is that a reasonable solution ??
I will try to upload a picture. I want to move the vent pipe to the right by about 16 inches.

IMG_7049.jpg

cut off the steel pipe 5" from the floor,

using a Mission Band part # cp200 add the following fittings in this oreder

3'' pvc pipe, 2'' pvc san tee, 3'' piece of 2'' pipe, 2x1 1/2x 1 1/2 tee,

3'' piece of 1 1/2 pipe, 1 1/2' 90

the bottom 2'' tee. stick a 2'' clean out fitting with plug in it

the 2nd tee. stick a 4'' piece of 1 1/2 pipe in it
same with the top 90

put your cabinet in...do your thing

BandSeal.jpg

IMG_7049.jpg

OK, thank you so much !
So that means I can completely avoid having to put a vent pipe through the roof at this location ? Fantastic.
I drew a diagram of the setup you described. Did I get it correct ?
also, the bottom cleanout is just that, a clean out, correct ? I use the 2nd tee to attach my p-trap from the sink ?

plumbing setup 1.jpg

yeah,,i think so. so little i cant see it. jusy make sure the middle tee. is 17'' off the floor to center of the tee. for your kitchen drain to work out

also...lay out on the floor, where the center of the sink is going to be. then

stub out the drain 8'' off center. either to the left or right of center. depending on which side you want your disposal on

stub out oposite side

1798_001.jpg

Thanks Frodo.
We are keeping the same location of the sink, so no problem there. It is already 8 inches to the right, leaving room for the disposal on the left.
The AVI fitting seems so much easier than a vent pipe. Why is it allowed in some plumbing locations, but not others?
Also, is an inline vent by Oatey okay to use instead of the exact fitting you called for?

Latest posts

Back