Vent- Flat/Wet?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KULTULZ

Jack of All Trades ~ Master of None
Professional
Reaction score
My bath is plumbed (bath/toilet DWV) as shown in below photos. There is a common blockage as neither tub or toilet will drain.

Is the vent Y legal or proper? Should it be rolled as to lessen the chances of trash backing up into it... ?

Bath DWV- Ist Floor _1 - Bathtub.jpg

Bath DWV- Ist Floor _2 - Bathtub & Shower.jpg

Bath DWV- Ist Floor _3 - Vent (Bathtub & Toilet).jpg

Either way, I don't know why whoever plumbed it used a side inlet 1/4 bend with two sweeps when they could have done it with a wye and 1/8 bend.

Sorry Gentlemen, it took me a while to get back... :eek:

Is there any fixtures draining through the vent, such as a lavatory (bathroom sink)?

Either way, I don't know why whoever plumbed it used a side inlet 1/4 bend with two sweeps when they could have done it with a wye and 1/8 bend.

The bath drain is 1-1/2", goes to 2" at the vent and of course 3" at the waste.

What I thought was a dedicated vent also is a drain (wet vent?) for one of the vanity sinks in the bath.

There is only one vent on the roof. The basement is also roughed plumbed for a bath (laundry also ties in at partition wall) at the left hand side of the house (the waste being discussed on the rear wall of the house) and there is a 2" pipe going up through the 1st floor at that point.

I am going to re-plumb (hopefully) this summer from CPVC to PEX. I can correct any DWV at that time.

attachment.php

Hey frodo... :D

I gave the pipe sizes above and it is sloped (hard to see).

ALSO-

The complete trap arm asm is @ 5ft.

Last edited:
OH! BTW-

The tub drained itself over night and the toilet is operational now (I was figuring to snake it this morning). I have a 5 yr old grandson who is infatuated with tissue rolls and becomes exuberant at times with toilet tissue. I am hoping the blockage was paper and it dissolved over night... :rolleyes:

frodo posted-

Because the picture shows a santee, I assume it is a vent and not a drain or wet vent. If that is true it is not proper because it is not rolled.

It turns out it is a wet vent (see post above).

So I would have to roll the connection (maybe the flat vent is allowed here - WV)? There are other questionable connections like this. Does the connection fitting have to be at a minimum 45 degrees or can it be slightly less due to space restrictions?

Also, would the bath drain need to be rolled @ the toilet ell? It seems when the blockage occurred, there was bubbling in the toilet bowl (indicating a blocked vent possibly?).

Not a blocked vent, a blocked drain. Needs to be snaked by someone who cleans drains, as opposed to someone who pokes holes through blockages. I get calls about once a month where I go behind other companies who keep poking holes through clogs.

From what I can make out from the pictures, that is not a proper wet vent (here in Canada anyway). And that looks like a 3" right inlet elbow turned upside down? That shouldn't be.

Latest posts

Back