Vacuum pull from pump for siphoning system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogbite

Reaction score
All,

I have a head scratcher, and looking for some advice. I have an artesian well for my sprinkler system and it is pumped into 6 zones via a 1.5hp pump. The previous owner had purchased a siphoning system to fertilize and remove iron.

The kit came with a one-way valve that is attached to the cast iron pump housing marked "Vacuum" on the cast iron. If I pull the valve and blow into it or suck on it in the direction of flow it does allow air to pass.

Now for the odd part. When I first kick on the pump, it pulls water/air for a second or two and then the valve closes but the I am getting good pressure to the sprinklers.

I can install the one-way valve into the feed into the pump, but not sure that will make a difference or not. Also, there is a sediment filter before the backflow valve that I have not been able to get out. Not sure if the pressure could be low due to it being somewhat blocked.

Looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot this further, or possibly on how to fix it. I fear removing the filter will probably mean I will be doing more work to repair items.

Thanks

A sediment filter on a sprinkler system? The flow rate through that thing must be a bit low. And why in the world did he think he needed a filter for sprinklers anyway. Didn't want to get sediment on the grass???

I am not sure what this system is, but it probably won't remove rust unless it is to inject a sequestering chemical to make the iron not stick to fences and painted surfaces like your house. Without the chemical, it's probably useless.

Yes, the system has a 30 gallon tank that you add water and chemicals to. The main use for us will be for fertilization and bug control. The water here does stain everything a nice tinge of rust color.

As far as the filter, all of the systems in this area have filters because the sand from the wells clog the sprinkler heads as I am on the east coast of Florida.

So for lack of pressure, I am guessing a clogged filter could cause that, right? I also have several sprinklers that are not operational in that water does not flow through them. I am also guessing too much back pressure could cause it as well?

Wells should not pump sand.
Yes those filters could very well be the reason you don't have any pressure. I guess you could put fertilizer and bug killer in that tank and let it do its job but I think the main purpose for it was to use the sequestering agent for the iron.

Back