Utility SInk

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately if you can’t get the drain lower, you’ll need to raise the sink.

Looks like you used a 2” wye then a 2x2x1.5 regular tee.

You might could’ve saved some room had you used the fittings there I suggested, but maybe not.
2x2x1.5” wye and a 1.5” Street tee.

You could also use a level and make sure you do not have too much pitch. All you need is 1/4” per ft but it would be fine to have a little less right there, it gets plenty of water volume to clean itself.

Let me know if I can help if you have questions. Your work looks very good.

Thank you, I had already bought the fittings and I guess I thought it wouldn't make that much difference. Live and learn I guess :). I'll try using a level. I was able to get it to connect with the end of the run lower but I was fixated on getting a 1/4 per foot pitch across the entire run.

You could cut the cast iron off, you have room.

1/4” is code, you’re correct.

I thought about that but didn't have the tools for that job but that may be the best option.

Things like that use to bother me. Now I don’t care.

If it leaks, replace it.....it’s not hidden or concealed in anyway. It’s a homeowner job, not a professional.

I would argue that the rubber tee is more reliable than a wax seal under a toilet.......

Legal or not, no one should use a rubber tee
I respect your opinion on it for sure. I respect your opinion more than the beloved plumbing code.

I respect the intent of the code but taken as written the code will have you doing things that in the real world doesn’t make a difference in how the system operates in your particular application.

The OP could’ve laid a San tee on its back to catch that laundry sink and it would not hurt anything but someone’s feelings.

But for the record, I asked him to use a 2” street San tee. I even posted a link to buy it.

Thanks again for all the advice. I really appreciate it. For the record. I used the rubber tee because I felt I had no choice. It saved me almost 2 inches and now that I have cut off the iron I am as low as I can possibly get it. I was able to connect the sink without raising it. I call the project complete and if it needs to be replaced at some point becuase a new home owner doesn't like it they will have to remove the sink.

Back