Utility SInk

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sshelby1

Reaction score
I am adding a utility sink beside a washer and drier. I am attaching some pictures that show my setup. I plan on removing the toilet and pluging the floor drain. I would then like to place the utility sink to the right of where the toilet sits and connect the utility sink with a p trap using a tee to the 2" drain pipe that is slopped horizontally to the exit drain. Is this acceptable or should I instead place the utility sink where I remove the toliet and connect it to the washer stand pipe above the existing p trap? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210515_134656528.jpg
    IMG_20210515_134656528.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210515_134701139.jpg
    IMG_20210515_134701139.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 19
What you have existing is wrong. You need to properly vent fixtures.

Your first idea would be more correct. You can't put a 2nd fixture into a standpipe.

What is that pipe coming out of the vertical wye, though? Looks like a drain, but I suppose it could be a vent.

You'd need to separately vent both traps. So, a tee on its back after the washer p-trap, before your planned sink. Then another after the sink p-trap (assuming that other 2" isn't a vent). They'd need to tie together no less than 38" off the ground (at least by my local codes). Then find a vent they can tie into nearby 🤞

Where does the vertical pipe go ? What’s it used for ? The one with the 45 offset.

The line coming from above is a sink drain from the kitchen. I didn't make the mess but will clean it up. The attached picture is where I got the idea for the second option but your suggestion will make my life easier since it doesn't force me to have the the sink within 30 inches of the stand pipe. Could I use two AAVs, one just after the washer p trap and another after the sink p trap? Or tie them together and use one AAV?

1621384003612.png

The line coming from above is a sink drain from the kitchen. I didn't make the mess but will clean it up. The attached picture is where I got the idea for the second option but your suggestion will make my life easier since it doesn't force me to have the the sink within 30 inches of the stand pipe. Could I use two AAVs, one just after the washer p trap and another after the sink p trap? Or tie them together and use one AAV?

View attachment 29636
Your standpipe is too high to connect like your pic.

You would need to lower the entire drain.

ok, so that's another reason why tieing in at the end of the run is best. Can I go ahead and tie in to the existing drain using a combination wye and then put in an AAV in the line using a tee. Then add the same setup just after the washer p trap?

I put together some quick drawings to reflect what I was thinking. Are these acceptable?

Attachments

• plumbing setup1.png
    plumbing setup1.png
    557.6 KB · Views: 9
  • plumbing setup2.png
    plumbing setup2.png
    557.4 KB · Views: 9
That whole thing isn't vented correctly. Look at the picture. Your question isn't a good one. It should be "how can I fix this AND do what I want."

Do it like this.
4F49D519-A203-4083-A99F-634036BEC65C.jpeg
You’ll need to get the drain as low as possible.

Use a 2x2x1.5” wye to go vertical for the utility sink snd the vent.

Use a 1.5” street tee into the wye to branch off for the utility sink

This will keep your height down to a minimum.

How can I Fix this and accomplish my goal of installing a utility sink?
You can pipe it like I have shown or if you don’t want to use an AAV you can extend that vent to open air or revent back into a vent above the highest fixture upstairs .

You can pipe it like I have shown or if you don’t want to use an AAV you can extend that vent to open air or revent back into a vent above the highest fixture upstairs .
Thank you for the drawing. I have no problem with using the AAV. I was trying to vent both the washer and the sink based on my understanding of previous posts. If I only need to lower the drain pipe, connect the sink drain and install the vent off of the sink p trap I can handle that. Thanks!

Installing the AAV where I have it drawn will vent the washing machine and mop sink.

Thanks again for the advice and drawing. I got it plumbed in per your drawing but unfortunately the sink is about an inch lower than the drain. Do I have any options other than plywood under the sink to raise it to the desired level?

I took this picture before I added the vent. I won't be back at the house until next week sometime.

Attachments

• IMG_20210521_143051590_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210521_143051590_HDR.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back