Utility Sink Faucet Replacement - Pipe Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smack2k

Reaction score
I need to change out the faucet setup on our Utility Sink in the laundry room. Its a Porcelain Sink that sits up against the wall. The problem is that the hot and cold water pipes run directly across the wall in the room and up to the current faucet setup on the back of the sink. Since the sink is against the wall and its connected directly to pipes, I dont think I can move the sink without breaking the pipes, and there is no way to get to the faucet from underneath the sink as the opening between the back of the sink and the wall is literally 1-2 inches. If I could get to it somehow I could get the pipes off and solder the new stuff in or add hoses, but I have no clue how to access the back of this without breaking the pipes!

Or do I need to cut the pipes at the point I can access them, then remove the faucet through the top of the sink (bringing the rest of the cut pipe up with it), then attach new pipes to the faucet, put it back in and connect the new pipes to where I initially cut? I just wonder if the new pipes attached would come down to where the old ones are or if they'd be offset....

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sure

Here is the sink....it goes back to the wall almost flush

20200811_135414.jpg

Here is underneath where you can see the pipes starting up in the back

20200811_135430.jpg

I cant get a hand in that area to reach up at all, and pulling it out is going to bend / snap the pipe I fear

Here is a shot from underneath going up the back (the area I cant get a hand / arm into. Best shot I could take as I had to get my phone wedged in and snap it without looking....you can see the pipes go up to the faucet...

20200811_135531.jpg

If it were me, I would gut the copper pipes under the sink and install compression valves and use supply lines on a new faucet.

SHEPLMBR is right.

Very easy to cut the pipes somewhere with easy access, under the sink, not behind it.
Then the sink can be moved, you can lay it on its side, and mangle off the old faucet.

Then new 1/2 inch copper compression to 3/8 compression outlet valves.

Either 1/4 turn or multi turn shutoff valves.

Youtube has videos on installing them on copper lines.

Then braided flex faucet supply lines coming off of those.

Latest posts

Back