Utility sink drain replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejk

Reaction score
I have a standard utility (slop) sink. The opening for the drain is 2" and the pvc piping below it is 1.5". I need to replace the PVC drain that came with the sink and am having a devil of a time finding a replacement. In addition, wondering if I should replace with brass instead of PVC drain. The reason it needs to be replaced is that the threads on the drain used to screw the connector below it onto the drain are stripped. Any help would be appreciated. I have been back and forth to Home Depot and Loews and you would think I'm looking for a rare object.

Some of these sinks come with them molded into the sink. That is not the case with this one is it/

Here are some pictures. Can't tell the manufacturer. I went to a plumbing store but everything was larger than the 2" opening. The drain originally was PVC. By molded into sink, not sure what you mean. The drain itself just came out by unscrewing the collar on the underside.

9A69AB04-2C51-47F9-9661-6E4D3D55EDA4_1_105_c.jpeg633D89B2-86FE-425F-971D-7016D758A65B_1_105_c.jpeg0BCDEC5B-827B-41D9-90CE-5E40653B1AD8_1_105_c.jpeg

OK, so that means it was not molded into the sink. You should be able to find a laundry sink basket strainer at any hardware store or plumbing supply house.

Thanks. I would have thought so. I may have to call around. I have been to Home Depot, Lowes, and just today a local plumbing supply house. They had something but it was bigger than 2"

I went ahead and ordered online using the link breplum provided above, hopefully this does the trick

images
This is how your pipe under the sink would hook up

It is just a bar sink strainer. Every Big Box store or plumbing supply house should have it. You just have to ask for it by the right name bar sink strainer.

Yes SHR, the trick is finding the right size, for some reason 2" was tough.
Thanks breplum, just received and installed, i'm all set

I'm glad you got it taken care of successfully. Your experience is interesting to me as 2 inch is the readily available standard In Minnesota where I live.

I always thought that size was readily available pretty much everywhere. As someone said above earlier, bar sink drain. Live and learn.

Latest posts

Back