Using washing machine exhaust for shower.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manu

Reaction score
Hello, I have a condo with a washer/dryer and hot water tank room that is 8 by 7 feet. My washer/dryer and hot water tank are only taking up 1/3 of the usable space. I only have a bath in the washroom and I wanted a shower.

I want to build a walk-in shower 3 feet by 5 feet. To do so, I had 2 major issues that I wasn't sure how to deal with.

1- I was wondering if I can tap into the washing machine exhaust line for the shower drain. I also have a drain hole right next to the hot water tank.

2- I want to go for the frameless type sliding door to save space for the shower. Do I need to secure the gliding bar into a metal stud or can I just use those plastic anchors? Or should I build a wooden frame with 2 by 3 plywood?

The condo is not finished yet. I wanted to know if I can use the washing machine drain line in the wall for the shower drain.

a shower drains below the floor. if you are talking about tieing into the drain line below the floor, installing a ptrap and a vent.

on a 2 '' line. yes you can do it. ...be advised, you are turning that room into a wet room, white sheet rock will not do.

you need to rock the room with green board. also, treated 1/2'' plywood or a treated 2x4 for the edge of the shower needs to be in the wall

is this going to be a plastic or fiberglass unit ?

need wood all around the unit to screw it to. metal studs are useless to hold anything but rock

if your water heater is electric, you may have a shower in that room, if it is gas, you may not..according to upc code

Can't say I've ever saw a washing machine with an exhaust :confused:

Anyway, how did you plan on venting the shower?

I wanted to tap into the lower part of the drain pipe of the washing machine.
All washing machines have an exhaust for the water or if you prefer drain.
Also this room is connected with an opening to the washroom with a 250cfm fan.
I also want to do a custom size tile shower with a sliding frameless door.
Thanks for the info guys! I am here to learn!

By vent did you mean the pipes? Also the water heater is electric.

You should post a diagram of what you plan to do. If done incorrectly you are going to waste time and money. It's a lot harder to help you if we can't see what you're trying do accomplish. You can't just tap into a drain and call it a day.

Thanks guys for the input! Really appreciate it!

Here is a image of my future bathroom. I hope you have enough info with this!

The blue ovals are the drains available in the room. The shower will be in front of the washing machine/dryer and the hot water tank. It looks stuffed but the room is 8 foot deep.

Since I do not have any other place to put a shower in my condo, this room is the best place. It will be a sort of walk in shower that will lead to the washing machine/dryer.

Do you guys think if I put a frameless sliding shower doors on the sides to access the machines work? Also, the left side of the shower will stay open so the fan can remove the humidity.

toilet.jpg

Because I really want to keep a bath. Thanks for the help!

The floor is concrete and over it it is tiles. There is no piping under future shower area. Only one drain where the hot water tank is. I was thinking to raise the shower with 2 by 3's to pass the pipings.

Also, I do not think I have 2 feet of space between shower and hot water tank. It is an electrical tank. Is there a placement code I have to respect? I also live in canada.

you can not just shove a water heater in a hole, build a wall around it and wave bye bye to it.

you SHALL leave room to maintain it and to replace it. also, 2x4 lumber is woefully inadequate for a shower.

the height will not work. you will need MINIMUM 2x10 space for the shower drain and ptrap.

you also need to have a waste stack to tie the drain into.

you can not run the shower over to the floor drain at the water heater, the first time you use it you will flood the room.

it MUST be tied in correctly to work.

please read 511.1

scan0001.jpg

Back