Use PTFE?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfield98

Reaction score
I just replaced this GROHE 46312KH0 Pull Out Spray, Soft Black faucet with a new one I bought on Amazon. It came in a box resealed with clear tape. :(

It leaks a small amount of water around the threads.

I'm afraid I may crack the plastic if I tighten it further. But, maybe that's all I need to do? (Edit: I know this sounds like, a "duh!"-moment of obviousness. But, the basket on the new item didn't have the same recessed ring into which the gasket when on the old one...)

Can one use PTFE tape on these?

When I removed the old faucet, there was a tiny rubber gasket in it, as well as a filter basket. The new (?) one only had the basket. Maybe the faucet I bought(in an opened box) was missing the gasket.

Anyone know where I can find installation instructions for this and whether it comes with a gasket washer?

GROHE 46312KH0.jpg

I have that same head on my Grohe ladylux kitchen faucet.

The seal is made with orings on the hose that inserts into the spout as the nut tightens. The threads do not seal, they simply hold the connection together.

Hi, Twowaxhack,
This gasket? The hose (and thus the gasket) are only a few years old.
Is there some grease that we should be using on this joint? Is the gasket field replaceable?
Or, maybe the darned replacement faucet we bought has a defect.
Thanks again for your help.

IMG_5090.JPG

That’s the oring. You can order a new one.

Or the head you bought is defective.

Or the hose is leaking and it looks like the oring is leaking.

You’ll have to replace the oring and see. Process of elimination.

Is this joint supposed to be assembled with a b it of plumbers' grease? I didn't do that. Might that fix this?

Is this joint supposed to be assembled with a b it of plumbers' grease? I didn't do that. Might that fix this?
You could put a small amount of silicone plumbers grease on the oring.

You probably have a bad hose, bad oring or a defective head.

But I suppose there’s always a chance your oring is being deformed as it pushes up into the head. Again, I doubt that.

Back