Urinal Vacuum Breaker Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30614

Reaction score
We've got one urinal in our facility that is giving us issues. We changed out the automatic flush valve because the old one would not stop flushing (no issue with the solenoid that we could find, just a bad flush controller), but the old rig also had issues with leaking beneath the vacuum breaker nut. The new unit is cycling properly (yay) but still showing a great deal of water loss through the vent holes on the vacuum breaker end of the standpipe. I've adjusted the water pressure multiple time, with no change in behavior. I have noticed that the washout holes along the top edge of the urinal are heavily crusted with mineral deposits. Is there a possibility that the reduced output volume caused by the calcification could be allowing excessive pressure to build beneath the vacuum breaker so that it releases?

Thanks for your time.

Pines

Are you using Sloan, there is on that comes in a bag, the other is taller and comes in a box part # may be 554 what kind of auto flush do you have, are you on a pumped water system????, The taller vacuum breaker works

There’s a high pressure model vac breaker available.

Yes, clean the outlet holes in the urinal.

Are you using Sloan, there is on that comes in a bag, the other is taller and comes in a box part # may be 554 what kind of auto flush do you have, are you on a pumped water system????, The taller vacuum breaker works
The vacuum breaker is Sloan 551. Toto flushometer TEU1LN. Don't believe the cold water system is pumped. Hot is on a reclamation circuit, but I haven't noticed pumps on the cold. The behavior of the water and the breaker feels like too much back pressure is building up.

We've got one urinal in our facility that is giving us issues. We changed out the automatic flush valve because the old one would not stop flushing (no issue with the solenoid that we could find, just a bad flush controller), but the old rig also had issues with leaking beneath the vacuum breaker nut. The new unit is cycling properly (yay) but still showing a great deal of water loss through the vent holes on the vacuum breaker end of the standpipe. I've adjusted the water pressure multiple time, with no change in behavior. I have noticed that the washout holes along the top edge of the urinal are heavily crusted with mineral deposits. Is there a possibility that the reduced output volume caused by the calcification could be allowing excessive pressure to build beneath the vacuum breaker so that it releases?

Thanks for your time.

Pines
There should be a big brass nut, under that is what would be your disc and diaphragm it's either brass or plastic, probably plastic sometimes that can get dirty I wash it off and grease any rubber parts, or threads you can also. Unplug the wires and wait a few minutes then plug back , have you opened the stop all the way, to charge the generator you push the button 5 times you should hear it whining ,

There should be a big brass nut, under that is what would be your disc and diaphragm it's either brass or plastic, probably plastic sometimes that can get dirty I wash it off and grease any rubber parts, or threads you can also. Unplug the wires and wait a few minutes then plug back , have you opened the stop all the way, to charge the generator you push the button 5 times you should hear it whining ,
The flushometer itself is brand new, just out of the box. Flush function is fine, no problems with diaphragm, disc, or solenoid. The vacuum breaker, spud gasket, spud nut, and spud washer are all new, too. When the stop valve is opened to or beyond halfway, the back pressure not only pushes out through the vacuum breaker holes but also blows the spud assembly out of the top of the urinal.

The flushometer itself is brand new, just out of the box. Flush function is fine, no problems with diaphragm, disc, or solenoid. The vacuum breaker, spud gasket, spud nut, and spud washer are all new, too. When the stop valve is opened to or beyond halfway, the back pressure not only pushes out through the vacuum breaker holes but also blows the spud assembly out of the top of the urinal.
Make sure you’re using the correct flow volume and only turn the stop valve on enough to complete the flush cycle.

You may very well need to replace the urinal if the ports are restricted and can’t be opened

Make sure you’re using the correct flow volume and only turn the stop valve on enough to complete the flush cycle.

You may very well need to replace the urinal if the ports are restricted and can’t be opened
I know your probably doing everything right, but how much play do you have inn the tailpiece, how close is the urinal to the water main, have you put a gauge on the wash down spikot to see what your pressure is, it sounds like the pressure is preventing the relief valve from seating, have you tried a regular sloan flushometer to see what happens

I know your probably doing everything right, but how much play do you have inn the tailpiece, how close is the urinal to the water main, have you put a gauge on the wash down spikot to see what your pressure is, it sounds like the pressure is preventing the relief valve from seating, have you tried a regular sloan flushometer to see what happens
We also had an issue of spuds blowing out but it was on a pumped water system once the dropped the pressure all was back to normal

Latest posts

Back