Upstairs sink issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipc

Reaction score
Hello. I have 2 full baths, one above the other. The upstairs sink has always been a little slow, but gotten worse lately. I decided to suprise my cousin who lives upstairs by plunging the sink. Good grief the stuff that started coming out! Now it won't drain at all. But here's the kicker. I tried several drain openers, including vacuuming out the water then blowing the drain crystals thru with my wet vac. Then I tried a liquid. A little progress, at least mainly clear water now when I try to plunge. It gets better- I cannot plunge the water out, but I can blow it out with the wet vac. I've done this many times. I hear the water going back and forth as I plunge. I can hear the water draining from both the tub and the toilet by listening to the dry sink drain. It sounds clear. And I've tried to snake it, getting several feet before hitting a hard stop. (not a clog) I'm afraid to get too aggressive with the snake for fear of making things worse. (50 year old pipes)

I'm a DIYer going way back. I used a clog hog attachment to clean out my uncle's main line a few years ago, among other things. So I've learned a lot. (Thanks Youtube) The only thing I have left to do is go up on the roof and see if the vent is clogged. (The only vent) But if it is, why do the toilet and bath drain well?????? I'm at my wits end. I know a great plumber but would not like to give up yet. Thanks for your time. Chip

The drain line probably needs snaking by someone who is better at it.

When you are plunging, you might just be pushing water up into the vent.

Or back towards another fixture that shares a drain with your sink.

How do you know that hard stop is not a clog?

Try rotating the snake the opposite way at that hard stop.
It might be catching on the edge of a coupling, an elbow, or a tee.
You can also give the tip of the snake a very slight bend, sometimes this helps it get past a tough spot.

Jeffhandy is right on with those points,when trying to drop down the drain youneed to spin the drain very slowly so the bent part of the snake falls down into the drain don't use chemicals,if they sit in the drain it will eat the piping, if it's draining but slowly, there is something called a kinetic ram, it shoots pressurized air into the drain, gotta cover the over flow and start with low pressure it can make a mess snaking is best

THANKS for the replies. I actually bought a better auger and a few minutes ago I put water in the drain, worked the snake for about two minutes and that did it! Must have been a big clog because when it let go it started pulling the snake down like I had hooked a fish. Thanks for taking the time to help. Should have come here first.

Back