Upgrade recommendations

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zhy4757

Reaction score
Hello,

my current setup is a Pentair va1 with a liberty pump Venturi backup. I don’t have confidence in the liberty pump. It pumps weak and I believe it was installed too high. Am I wrong?

im thinking of going to A battery backup. Current setup is 4 years old.

im considering a pump sentry inverter to provide power to the existing Pentair or I’m considering gutting the entire setup for a Wayne WSS30VN combo.

what do you think? its an active sump. neighbours got flooded this week with a heavy storm. We were bailing with buckets as the venturi back seemed to Struggle. We had to manually Start the backup as it did t start on its own. I think it’s installed too high and it Appears the inlet weeping pipes fill with water before the sump gets filled. The backup didn’t kick on before the Water Was above the weeping pipes,

Last edited:
Not enough details to give feedback. Pictures, drawings, measurements might help.
Battery backup works, but must be sized for particular site conditions.
Venturi works too, within its specs and limitations, when installed correctly and nothing broken.

Here’s a pic. Pit is 15-16” diameter. I think the Venturi needs to bee lowered. It it’s tp right above the main. Rotating it 45 Degrees would probably allow me to set it lower but would necessitate cutting copper and y-joint

Attachments

• AD701899-B9CA-4D33-A7B7-251B5DDC25CE.jpeg
    AD701899-B9CA-4D33-A7B7-251B5DDC25CE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
I bought a flotec stainless pump from Lowe’s with just an 1/12 discharge and check valve don’t get the rain like you
But it was a quick easy install

Can you rotate your primary pump and extend the backup pump pickup tube to go deeper into the basin so you don’t have to mess with the copper? Also, are you constantly losing power? I’m assuming when the primary pump is working everything is fine, right?

Can you rotate your primary pump and extend the backup pump pickup tube to go deeper into the basin so you don’t have to mess with the copper? Also, are you constantly losing power? I’m assuming when the primary pump is working everything is fine, right?
Hmmmm. I thought about rotating the secondary. Not the primary. I’ll have a look. The secondary pickup tube came like that from the factory. I think it’s the second seas float that needs to sit lower so it starts earlier.

power has gone out twice for a few hours in the 3 years we’ve been here.

Hmmmm. I thought about rotating the secondary. Not the primary. I’ll have a look. The secondary pickup tube came like that from the factory. I think it’s the second seas float that needs to sit lower so it starts earlier.

power has gone out twice for a few hours in the 3 years we’ve been here.

Well, in the setup I have, the discharge pipe from the primary pump goes straight up and into a check valve. If I loosen up the clamp I’m able to rotate my pump around the basin. Perhaps you could do that to get some more room in the basin. Just a thought.

I don’t think I can lower the secondary without breaking the Y connection and the copper and extending the Y portion and repositioning the copper

I did what you suggested. Rotated the primary and it worked well. But.......I’d still like it lower. The backup is still not coming on before the discharge pipes start filling.
this is my biggest question......should the discharge pipes start filling and continue to fill, before the backup engages? I think the backup should come on before the discharge pipes start filling.

i guess my only option is to extend The copper and extend the abs.
would you extend with copper or lengthen it with pex To allow for some flexibility? And could a fernco coupling be used for the abs or is that a bad idea on a sump?

Last edited:
I did what you suggested. Rotated the primary and it worked well. But.......I’d still like it lower. The backup is still not coming on before the discharge pipes start filling.
this is my biggest question......should the discharge pipes start filling and continue to fill, before the backup engages? I think the backup should come on before the discharge pipes start filling.

i guess my only option is to extend The copper and extend the abs.
would you extend with copper or lengthen it with pex To allow for some flexibility? And could a fernco coupling be used for the abs or is that a bad idea on a sump?
If you can’t extended the PVC pickup tube of the secondary pump, I guess you have no choice but to cut up the copper supply. I’d absolutely run PEX! Should be pretty easy to do assuming you have the tools to make the PEX connections. If not, there’s always Sharkbite.

Latest posts

Back