UPC 2009 Plumbing Code and AAV Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb9

Reaction score
Hi there,

I spoke with my state inspector last week about the use of an AAV for a kitchen sink that will be a bit far from my main soil/vent stack and he indicated that it is allowed. My state is Idaho. I thanked him for answering my question, but I was wondering if anyone had a link to the text in the 2009 UPC that allows the use of AAVs so that I can see it for myself.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Ryan for the link

Is there a better way to use that?
I have to click through this 140 times to get to vent section.

jb9,
You said UPC. We use the UPC here and AAV are not an approved way to vent a fixture.
But from past discussion I think they are allowed in the International code.

Local jurisdictions may accept or omit some items in the general code as they see fit.
If they say it's okay I would ask him for a reference. Next inspector may say something different.
Then it might be costly to correct it.
"He said" sometimes just don't cut it.
I've had inspectors tell me I did it wrong and they had to be schooled and that was inregards to electrical wiring to a water heater.:cool:
I could not find a reference to AAV in this 2009 UPC code
I found another link. This one is PDF and you can download it.

Capture.JPG

vent.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ryan for the link

Is there a better way to use that?
I have to click through this 140 times to get to vent section.

jb9,
You said UPC. We use the UPC here and AAV are not an approved way to vent a fixture.
But from past discussion I think they are allowed in the International code.

Local jurisdictions may accept or omit some items in the general code as they see fit.
If they say it's okay I would ask him for a reference. Next inspector may say something different.
Then it might be costly to correct it.
"He said" sometimes just don't cut it.
I've had inspectors tell me I did it wrong and they had to be schooled and that was inregards to electrical wiring to a water heater.:cool:
I could not find a reference to AAV in this 2009 UPC code
I found another link. This one is PDF and you can download it.

You used to be able to click on the page number and type it in in the 2012 version but not this one for some reason!

Ya they changed the bathroom group limit to only one bathroom group now on a horizontal wet vent and eliminated the urinal too.

I thought Idaho used IPC. Do I have that wrong in my list?

Latest posts

Back