Unusual well to house configuration

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanC

Reaction score
My daughter recently bought a piece of property, and while wandering around I came across this unsavory contraption. It is the line in to the house from the well, but I have no idea why they came up out of the ground to go over the foundation. We are in upstate New York, and it gets cold! I have no idea (yet) what that orange line is.

My questions are: why would there be two lines? They look like they were installed at the same time. And how could this be winter safe? The owner lived there or rented this place for decades, although I think this addition is less than 10 years old. I emailed him and he said it had never been a problem. And he couldn't remember what the 2nd line was for. Any solutions or recommendations that doesn't require excavation?

11994.jpeg20201018_141040.jpg

Nevermind- I think this is electrical conduit!

I see flat jacketed wire with no conduit between those two pipes. Two pipes like that usually mean a deep well jet pump? But the flat jacketed wire usually means a submersible down the well? Do you have a jet pump sitting on the floor inside the building? Maybe the flat is wire to a sub and the water pipe is coming up through the floor somewhere? Otherwise it would freeze if those are water pipes I can see.

Back