Unusual Toilet Flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svlsmokey

Reaction score
I am installing new sheet flooring in the bathroom and will be adding underlayment over the sub floor. I have removed the toilet and old wax seal. The steel ring on the flange has some surface rust but its still solid. The sub floor is in good condition. I need to remove the toilet flange so I can install the underlayment and vinyl flooring.

The flange seems to be fixed the the black plastic sewer pipe - as though the flange slipped over the sewer pipe and both were cut off flush with the ring. There are cut marks on the flange to indicate this might have been the case.

Pulling up on the flange, the whole drain pipe moves up and down about an inch so it appears the pipe is not secured on this end of the run - except by the flange.

The house was built in 1996. Any recommendations on how to remove this flange?

Thank you.

20160111_105523_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering if they used a street elbow and this flange fitting slips over the male end. If that's the case, a ram bit would be eating away at the elbow (which would eventually remove the flange) and would effectively cut the sewer line off 2" below floor level.

What is your sub floor material? I was thinking that if you can't release the flange you might have to replace the elbow by cutting out the sub floor, making the necessary change and then replace the sub floor. I'm sure the more skilled plumbers out there probably have a tool for this exact job, but you might not have a choice as your last post indicated. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back