Unusual Plumbing Problem - How do I fill a ground tank from several higher tanks? (without overflow or sucking siphon hoses)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterJourneyman

Reaction score
I have a plumbing project. I don't know much about plumbing - so forgive and assume total ignorance.

I have a 22 Litre Tank on the ground. At a higher elevation I have six 25 Litre tanks filled with water. I want for the 22L ground tank to fill with water from the tanks above. I think this is called gravity flow.

I know I can take six hoses and turn them into siphons. How though - do I prevent the 22L ground tank from overflowing. This sounds like a place to put a valve. How would you solve this problem?

Context - the ground tank will be regularly filled and emptied from the elevated tanks. It can start empty or full of water. The elevated tanks are taken away to be filled and placed back regularly too.

This video shows the kinds of vessels being used in a similar way-

The update - I discovered the Jiggle Siphon Hose so no sucking needed.

Now all I need is to know how to have a valve at the ground tank or at the hose going into the ground tank.

The higher level tanks would have to be assembled with a manifold, and the low level tank would need a fill valve with a float arm.

The higher level tanks would have to be assembled with a manifold, and the low level tank would need a fill valve with a float arm.

That's cool - thank you. I'll be back with more research and photographs when my project supplies arrive.

Watch several videos on rainwater irrigation on You Tube. Doesn't sound like you're doing that, but there's a lot of similar principles, and you could get ideas to customize your set-up.

Latest posts

Back