Unusual basement rough in - what should I do?

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

canadatoiletguy

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a house that has plumbing roughed-in in the basement. The stack and vent are high up on the wall and it just doesn’t make sense to me, though I really only know basic plumbing. Is it a big deal to complete the half bath? I’m fine to buy the fixtures and have them installed, but I am afraid I’ll need to tear up the floor. Is this plumbing logical and easy to connect? In eastern Canada for reference. See below for a picture.

Last edited:

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
Where is the toilet flange?

Maybe this is set up for a macerating toilet, that chops up waste and pumps it up and away through a narrow drain line?

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
That looks almost like it is sort of a set up for a weird laundry room, just a theory.

CT18

professional
Professional
Reaction score
No idea what those lines are for. The one on the right looks like a rough for a lav, what the heck is going on with he rest of the piping. Like Jeff said is it set up for a pumped toilet like a sani flo. What is the outlet for. You may want to get a local plumber in there, maybe he would have an idea.

TomFOhio

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
You need to identify those lines to figure out what you have. For a saniflo toilet you have the water line, and the electric. Check
and see if the pvc with blue cap goes to the drain. You also need a vent line. Not sure about the black line or the low pipe by the lave.