Unthreaded cleanout plug (!)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug wigginton

Reaction score
My daughter dropped something down the sink and I grabbed a wrench and went to remove the cleanout plug from the trap.

When I turned the wrench, the plug fell out because it's not threaded.

( the plug is metal and has a reasonably tight fit on the trap )

My question is: What kind of sealant do I use when putting the plug back in?

( the sink is in a small half-bath with non-standard trap/pipes so getting a standard trap is not a simple fix )

I tried some MegaLoc thread sealant but that is leaking.

Thanks

Most real plugs are either threaded on the edges, or are rubber with a bolt and nut in the center when screwed in, will expand the rubber to get a tight fit. Can you take a picture to see if this is some homemade type?

Thanks for the comment, the trap/plug look very much this product.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011Z75H40/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

(I can upload a photo when I get home)

I'm wondering now if maybe the hex shaped top separated from the piece with threads...

Anyway, the good news is it looks like I can find a replacement trap easily.
I would suggest that you consider replacing the metal trap with pvc. In fact I would also replace the metal tailpiece with pvc also. Pvc lasts forever, doesn't corrode, and is less expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Jeff as it sounds like that plug was being held together with soap scum. You can replace this with
any kind of trap. Just replace the whole thing and not half of it. I hardly ever
use chrome p-traps anymore unless its a wall hung sink. Like Jeff said use either PVC or ABS .

Back