Unique shower drain issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razzle1980

Reaction score
I've been dealing with the same drain issue for over a year now. It started about a year after we did major construction, which included all new ABS drainage piping in our slab concrete foundation (main drain is 4").

Our master bathroom shower, which is a step down shower and the furthest point in the house from the street (1-story house), has a periodic smell coming from the drain. There's water in the p-trap, but the water itself reeks of rotten eggs from time to time. I've siphoned the water and smelled it, so I can confirm the water is somehow getting contaminated. I've done a coliform bacteria test and hydrogen sulfide test, which have both been negative. Weeks might go by where it doesn't smell, and then it will all of a sudden come back, day after day no matter how many times the shower is used. I can't figure out what the problem is not can multiple plumbers I've had come take a look at it, including the plumbers who installed everything. I have a tankless water heater and no water backup issues.

One of the plumbers pointed out that my setup was odd, because next to the step down shower, I have a toilet which is higher in elevation. He though there might be an issue with that connection, which is what prompted me to do a coliform bacteria test on the smelly water in the p-trap, which was negative.

Any thoughts? I'm considering possibly pursuing legal action against my contractor who has given up on exploring solutions because I'm all out of options.

Back