Union Trap Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRrenovator

Reaction score
Good morning,

I installed a new bathroom vanity, and I had to replace the old trap. I wanted to install a pipe with a nut at the wall that would permit me to disconnect it without having to cut and cement it. My local plumbing supply advised that I install a union trap and cement a sleeve at the wall. I'm sorry that I did it this way because now I have a leaky trap. It's leaking at the union trap screw connection. I'm going to try to fix it, but if I can't stop the leak, I'm thinking of replacing it with a standard trap and nut connection at the wall. What do you advise?

Thanks, IMG_1824_opt.jpg

Is there a washer of sorts, within the union ?
Did you over tighten it by chance?
Check for rubber washer. Make sure it's seating properly and not deformed. Then reassemble and tighten by hand. If still leaking try tightening a little more.

What is leaking, the bottom nut. It is leaking for a reason that should be fixable. Might be mis aligned

Thanks CT18, I'm checking to see if the connection is properly aligned.

Is there a washer of sorts, within the union ?
Did you over tighten it by chance?
Check for rubber washer. Make sure it's seating properly and not deformed. Then reassemble and tighten by hand. If still leaking try tightening a little more.

Thanks Diehard, there is no washer in the connection of the p-trap. I'm taking it apart and reinstalling it.

For future reference, that union should be assembled prior to gluing entire assembly in place.
It was assembled. I made adjustments after the drain pipe was installed. I had to cut the pipes to fit, and then adjust the trap. Then I disconnected it after it was leaking, and reconnected it this morning, but it still leaks. The flange gasket isn't uniform. There are spaces between it and the nut. I'm not sure if that's normal. Anyway, I'm going to start over with a standard trap and cement it.

It doesn't look aligned properly, also, if there is a gap, that's the problem. If it has a beveled end, it's supposed to fit directly into the trap. That could fix the leak, but I always put some pipe dope on those threads, cause why not.

For the last 10 years or so, I install a trap adapter on the 1 1/2" PVC pipe that is coming out of the wall. That makes it very simple to replace the trap, or to remove the trap if the line needs to be snaked.

That's considered a tub trap with union. Do like you said you were going to do and put a tubular p-trap in and then
you can take it apart easy if there is any problems.

Back