Unidentifiable Rough in Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musishun

Reaction score
After discovering a leak, I discovered that no one recognizes this copper-line rough in valve. The cartridge is strange as well. Please help if you have any idea what company makes these. The cartridge should be a little taller - my puppy altered it. Most rough in valve have lines coming from opposite sides. Mine has two parallel copper lines spaced to fit two downward facing holes.

Attachments

• Valve1.jpg
    Valve1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • Valve2.jpg
    Valve2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
It is a rough in valve and I do need it. It regulates how much hot/cold water is sent to the shower head.

If I don't find a replacement part I am going to introduce a new VALVE with PEX line coming from the hot/cold copper lines and out to the continuing copper pipe.

Looks like you have more valves being fed out the side.
You have a big project coming up now, do your research.

Show some good pics of everything on the shower side.

And more pics of what is still behind the wall.

It goes out to a diverter then up to the shower. I plan on bypassing this, capping the hole, and taking hot/cold to a new all-in-one modern rough-in valve and cartridge. I've never attached copper to PEX, but the copper lines do have threaded fittings.

1603395101330.pngthis

This is my plan. Let me know if this is a bad idea.

RED = Removed
GREEN = PEX lines new Valve and up to shower line
BLUE = New Valve

*Or do the same but at the closer, more accessible hole. The problem is that the hot/cold lines are very close to where the valve sits.

You can attach new pex extensions with Sharkbite adapters, or other brands of push fittings like Woods, etc.

You can also cut off the threaded adapters and attach lower down on the copper supply lines, if it keeps you from having to make sharp bends in the pex, which will make them pinch if too tight a radius.
You can get bend supports to keep the bend consistent and not too severe.

Will do. Thanks for your help. I noticed those supports in an image search. Good to know.

Your water lines will feed new valve body from 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position, valve bottom will be capped if there is no tub spout.

Watch vids on pex to Sharkbite and copper to Sharkbite.

Critical to have straight clean cuts, no burrs, pipes must be clean, damp pipe helps it slide in past o ring, and mark insertion depth with a Sharpie to guarantee full insertion in fittings.

Your copper is likely 1/2 inch.

I think 1/2 inch pex and fittings are ok, but pros on here can advise.

Latest posts

Back