underneath dishwasher disintegrated, is it dangerous?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizard

Reaction score
I had my dishwasher replaced today and apparently it has been leaking and the grout or whatever it was underneath the dishwasher completely disintegrated and it looks like there is a pile of sand under there.

So I was wondering what that material is made from and if it's dangerous to have that loose material under there.

Thanks!

Just vacuum it up.

Mostly powdered cement and maybe fine sand.

You can take off the toe kick cover and CAREFULLY sneak the vac hose under there.

Turn the breaker off first, if any part of your vacuum going under there is metal.

The best time to clean it up was while the opening was empty.

Last edited:
Just vacuum it up.

Mostly powdered cement and maybe fine sand.

You can take off the toe kick cover and CAREFULLY sneak the vac hose under there.

The time to clean it up was while the opening was empty.

Okay, thank you!

I had my dishwasher replaced today and apparently it has been leaking and the grout or whatever it was underneath the dishwasher completely disintegrated and it looks like there is a pile of sand under there.

So I was wondering what that material is made from and if it's dangerous to have that loose material under there.

Thanks!
What type of floor do you have?
Is it a concrete slab on grade, by chance?

What type of floor do you have?
Is it a concrete slab on grade, by chance?

I asked and they said it was something called gypcrete and they installed the dishwasher right over it so it's still under there...

Gypcrete is a poured subfloor material often used in condos and other multi-family housing.
For sound deadening, fire protection. and as a bed for tile.

There is usually a top layer of flooring installed even under the dishwasher, because as you found that stuff gets crumbly and dusty.

I have it under everything in my condo, it is prone to cracking and even popping out in big chunks.

Gypcrete is a poured subfloor material often used in condos and other multi-family housing.
For sound deadening, fire protection. and as a bed for tile.

There is usually a top layer of flooring installed even under the dishwasher, because as you found that stuff gets crumbly and dusty.

I have it under everything in my condo, it is prone to cracking and even popping out in big chunks.

Thanks! It must be a safe material then even when crumbling? I have a vinyl floor and it does not extend under the dishwasher.

It is pretty absorbent.
Might absorb moisture and get moldy.

I would cut a piece of thin paneling, like plastic bath paneling, or thin masonite, and slide it under there.

You can bevel the bottom leading edge, so it kind of skis in on top of the gypcrete.

It is pretty absorbent.
Might absorb moisture and get moldy.

I would cut a piece of thin paneling, like plastic bath paneling, or thin masonite, and slide it under there.

You can bevel the bottom leading edge, so it kind of skis in on top of the gypcrete.

Oh great idea! Thanks

You might need to pull out the dishwasher, if you can’t get the sheet to go under the back feet.

Or just cut the sheet with wide notches to go around the back feet, or cut the entire length just short of the back feet.

You will probably have to lower the front feet a turn or two, to allow for thickness of the sheet.

Latest posts

Back