Under the Kitchen Sink Help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mglinka02

Reaction score
I am in the process of remodeling the kitchen in my home. The house was built in the 60's in PA. There used to be a double sink and I am confused to why there are two separate drain pipes?

Also, what are the suggestions for when I install the new double sink?

image1.jpg

If I had to guess I'd say it was likely set up to be vented like an island sink. Without seeing the drainage underneath, we don't know for sure

Regardless, the resultant plumbing will take the form of S-TRAPS won't they, unless as you said they were part of a Chicago Loop vent system?

Island Fixture Vent _1 (aka Chicago Loop) Dia.jpg

I went into the basement and I see that both of those pipes lead to the same pipe. I am not anywhere close to a plumber so forgive me for my lack of terminology. Could it just be that they both do the same function?

The old set up had a garbage disposal and it drained to the right pipe and the other pipe was the drain for the other side of the sink.

Does this make sense?

I went into the basement and I see that both of those pipes lead to the same pipe.

The old set up had a garbage disposal and it drained to the right pipe and the other pipe was the drain for the other side of the sink.

frodo,

If the original plumbing was as the OP described, they would have S-TRAPS, correct?

image1.jpg

Frodo,

It's picture number 2 that you drew

The pipe on the right was hooked up to the garbage disposal. The pipe on the left was hooked up to the other side of the sink. Both were S traps

Back