Under sink Grit filter Bosch dishwasher

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

openhand

Reaction score
I just installed another Bosch dishwasher and wonder about the fine screen at the inlet port where the supply hose connects in the back of the unit. It seems likely that this screen will become clogged with fine grit making it necessary to pull the unit to clean. Is there a simple inline filter I can get aftermarket that would fit the 3/8 compression line under the sink? The way Bosch has this set up seems like a design flaw. Thanks!

That screen is one of the reasons many people buy a new dishwasher, since "it doesn't clean good anymore".
Hard to clean dishes in a dishwasher, w/o enough water.
Design flaw, or, planned obsolescence?
Someone here will come up with filter you can use.

I have modern plumbing and a well but some fixtures clog despite the filter at the pressure tank, usually after a power outage. Anybody agree with removing that mesh at the dishwasher as suggested? I still think a simple inline filter makes sense under the kitchen sink.

I have never installed or worked on a Bosch dishwasher.
But all the other brands I have worked on have had the water line connection right behind the toe kick, easy to get to.

Are you saying that Bosch put that connection all the way in the back?
Why the heck would they do that?

I've seen the inlets all the way to the rear.
If you put a filter in ahead of the screen, no reason for the screen.
Clearly, what they're looking to prevent is the water inlet valve sticking open, and flooding the kitchen.

I have never installed or worked on a Bosch dishwasher.
But all the other brands I have worked on have had the water line connection right behind the toe kick, easy to get to.

Are you saying that Bosch put that connection all the way in the back?
Why the heck would they do that?

Yes they connect on the very back, and once the dishwasher is in place you cannot see it. So if that fitting comes loose while you are moving it into position you likely don’t know it’s leaking until water comes through the ceiling below.

Great working appliance. Garbage design though

And I’m still looking for a simple inline filter that would couple to the 3/8 supply line so I don’t have to eventually pull the dishwasher and clean that stupid screen.. Bosch- are you listening?

This is so simple...get a standard single stage under sink filter housing like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V6RY5B4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vqFyFbXCQQBTY
Use sediment filter cartridges. Easy to find appropriate fittings...

I owned a Bosch for over 20 years, never a problem. I installed a new one about 18 months ago in a 2nd home; I noted the bizarre rear water connection. You could always “remote” the water connection to the front with a little ingenuity.

FWIW the top CR rated dishwasher of all manufacturers, is the least costly Bosch.

Last edited:
I seem to recall there was a problem with Bosch dishwashers causing fires, maybe ten or fifteen years ago.

That single stage whole house filter looks too big for just a dishwasher. Isn’t there something simpler out there?

Yes it is kind of big but for one who had a five stage reverse osmosis system under his sink the single stage sediment filter is pretty darn small so it’s all a matter of perspective.

Again you could remote the input to the dishwasher to the front of the unit with a set of hoses and keep the sediment screen readily accessible from the dishwasher access panel. You’ll just have to find a bunch of fittings to do that but it shouldn’t be too difficult.

The picture I showed you was a standard 9 inch single stage filter housing but they do make smaller ones— Short fat stubby ones. I’ve never needed one so I wouldn’t know much about it, but search for filter housings and I’m sure you’ll find something.

The photo I attached was midway through my last Bosch dishwasher installation. On the left is the five stage reverse osmosis system although you don’t see the 1 gallon pressure tank because it’s not installed yet. In the back of the sink cabinet is both the dishwasher supply line and the dishwasher drain line. The dishwasher is on the right side out of sight.

And oh by the way the reason why Bosch has the water connection in the back is most water supplies are at the back of the sink base cabinet, so it’s the shortest connection possible.

Attachments

• 3E566626-5128-4FAA-A712-DD8F77374867.jpeg
    3E566626-5128-4FAA-A712-DD8F77374867.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4
I have a KleenWater hot water filter, under the sink, on the supply to the Bosch dishwasher. If your local plumbing supply business doesn’t have this or a similar filter available, consider searching Amazon for hot water filters. I don’t recall if the filter included Mipt-Fipt reducer bushings or if I purchased them separately. I suspect I sourced them separately. Hope this helps.

Any conjecture why I’m getting fine grit in my system at all? Ihave a whole house filter at the pressure tank. It seems like I have to clear screens after power goes out and the system recovers. Hot side mostly if I remember right?

Flush your well tank.
Flush your water heater.

After flushing, put the water filter on bypass, and run twenty or so gallons of hot and cold water, separately, out of a slop sink or bathtub spout, or any fixture without an aerator.
Or just run a hose sillcock for about five minutes.
Put the filter back into operation.

What kind of piping do you have in the house?

Back