Under-sink ejector - smells bad

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrkerr

Reaction score
I've got an under-sink ejector in my basement and whenever we use it it stinks up the house. The previous owners have a good history of doing things with out knowing what they were doing.

I think there are two problems:

The first is that it is vented under the sink. I imagine that this is where the stink is coming from. I imagine I need to take this outside or hook in to an existing vent (we have another ejector downstairs for the bathroom and laundry).

The second is that the trap seems way too low. It doesn't seem that the bottom of the trap should be below the top of the ejector basin...? Maybe the previous owners moved it down to make room for a now-unused dishwasher hookup.. should I move it back up?

Pictures speak louder than words, so a picture is attached.

Any advice is really appreciated!

IMG_0618.jpg

I am not experienced with ejectors, but I will offer a couple of comments.

Do not raise the Ptrap. It needs to access the air that the vent provides while it is draining.

If I am seeing the picture correctly, there is an open end on the vent pipe. If so, this is the problem. The vent pipe needs to be routed outside.

You could install a auto vent under the cabinet to prevent sewer gas from coming out of the pit. Sometimes the discharge line from your pump box gets tied into whatever drain is nearest, check for a dry pee trap on the first floor. When the pum discharges it will force air from the waste line thru any drain that dosent have a trap with water in it.

Latest posts

Back