Unable to tighten loose faucet base.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huggalybug

Reaction score
The base of the faucet moves when we try to adjust the faucet position. I’ve previously had success tightening the bolts underneath, but this is no longer working. I’m guessing this is from what looks like water damage to the wood underneath the countertop but I don’t want to assume anything. Any thoughts? Also, I’m wondering if there are any theories to explain how the water damage could’ve happened so we can avoid the same mistake in the future. We have a countertop dishwasher if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!

Sounds to me like you need a new countertop and faucet.

Install granite, it won’t rot.

Seal under the faucet with putty or the factory gasket that comes with the new faucet.

Sounds to me like you need a new countertop and faucet.

Install granite, it won’t rot.

Seal under the faucet with putty or the factory gasket that comes with the new faucet.

Thanks so much for the input! I figured that would be the answer. Any idea why this would’ve happened?

Oops! Sorry, it appears the photos never attached. Hope this works and thanks in advance. 019A58A1-319D-4E25-94AA-9118C6D67758.jpegBA93CF8F-222C-476F-8C5C-79EBD5CE9F82.jpeg18106B80-71E5-4EF2-B413-12483C594A05.jpeg

The particleboard looks rotted.

You could try loosening the faucet mounting screws underneath the counter, then slipping in some long thin narrow metal strips, maybe 1/2 inch wide, 1/8 inch thick, 6 inches long.
Tuck two of them up against the rotted wood underneath, and under the edge of the faucet base, to give a better bite on that mushy hole in the particleboard.
Otherwise, maybe it’s time for a new countertop.

do not flog a dead horse, get a new counter, and a new sink with holes in the sink so that the faucet sits in the sink , now make sure to install lots of plumbers putty so that now water runs around the faucet and not through the faucet hole and rots the new counter top .

The particleboard looks rotted.

You could try loosening the faucet mounting screws underneath the counter, then slipping in some long thin narrow metal strips, maybe 1/2 inch wide, 1/8 inch thick, 6 inches long.
Tuck two of them up against the rotted wood underneath, and under the edge of the faucet base, to give a better bite on that mushy hole in the particleboard.
Otherwise, maybe it’s time for a new countertop.
Thanks so much for your reply! Great to know.

do not flog a dead horse, get a new counter, and a new sink with holes in the sink so that the faucet sits in the sink , now make sure to install lots of plumbers putty so that now water runs around the faucet and not through the faucet hole and rots the new counter top .
Thanks for the advice - appreciate it.

Make yourself a heavy duty plate underneath and then tighten down. Top of counter looks ok from here. You'll
have to drill a hole for the faucet.

Back