Unable to remove shower diverter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxlw

Reaction score
Shower diverter needs replaced. I cant not get the 29 mm socket to remove the old diverter due to corrosion and rounded edges. I do not have enough edge for a vise pliers either. Suggestions?

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 14
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 13
Find a socket that fits tight. It unscrews counterclockwise. Maybe even a stripped bolt remover.

That has been tried but no luck finding a socket that can grip it. Either too big or too small.

I will see if I can find one that will work. I dont have a lot of room and the diverter is very long.

I have to be prepared to commit to a solution as no one would be able to shower until the repair was complete. I thought about it but became hesitant to put the shower out of commission if I was unable to get it loose.

I understand your position. What’s the diverter doing ? Shooting water out of the button that you push in ?

Just not diverting ? What’s going on with it

only half the water comes out the shower head, the other half remains out the spout.

Delta makes a plug to plug off that diverter port and you buy another cover plate that doesn’t have the hole for the diverter.

Then you replace the tub spout to a lift type diverter spout and that’s how you control the shower. But I understand you can’t get your diverter out........

You could just try to change the spout to a diverter spout and leave everything else as it is.

It may not work with that old diverter still stuck in the valve.

I’ve never tried it.......you could try it. 🤓

Thanks for the advice. Ill update sometime when I have a chance to tackle it again. Its at the in-laws.

It’s a 22mm socket. I cut a little wall material out so my socket fit.
5EF7E767-E4B3-40B5-A7EE-F23FFBA42615.jpeg

Here the wall kept my socket from getting square. 22mm 1/2” drive deep socket. It probably calls for a 7/8 socket but the 22mm is just slightly smaller and gives a tight fit that won’t strip. 6A7A7036-A3E0-4363-818D-3852E81700CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Shower diverter needs replaced. I cant not get the 29 mm socket to remove the old diverter due to corrosion and rounded edges. I do not have enough edge for a vise pliers either. Suggestions?

I am dealing with diverter replacement myself. I used a 22mm to remove mine, it fit nicely. The stem is long but when compressed the deep socket will fit.

27/32” is what Delta says it uses. 22mm works fine for me too.

Mark your wall plate on the faucet and then see if you have enough room to trim just a little in order to get your socket on square.

Back