Unable to figure out my shower head

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattborn

Reaction score
So I renovated my master bath but an unable to figure out what I need to do to get my shower head installed. All that is there is a 1/2" copper pipe which appears to be an unusual way to do it. I'm guessing this is how the builder did things 10 years ago when the house was built. Pictures attached of what it looked like when I was doing demo and what it looks like now.
Would appreciate help how I can get this to accept a new shower arm.

Attachments

• {01AEDFDD-4F24-40E8-863E-2F46F0A608E3}.png.jpg
    {01AEDFDD-4F24-40E8-863E-2F46F0A608E3}.png.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG-2763.JPG
    IMG-2763.JPG
    989.4 KB · Views: 66
can you see threads on that pipe????usually its a copper by female ips 90 so you ca thread your shower arm in.....
Unfortunately not. If you look at the picture during demo, the old shower arm was attached to that white flange-like device. That flange-like device had some kind of compression fitting to the copper pipe that you see in the post-reno picture. The copper pipe was basically just sitting inside of the shower arm and the connection was secured by that white piece. Of course I didn't keep the old parts as at the time I figured it was going to be easy to replace.

if there is no wall behind the shower that can be accessed you will have to use a Dremel tool and remove the grout first then pry the tile out to expose that pipe and fitting

There are of course many ways to connect to the copper pipe. The question is how to do it while keeping the final assembly from sticking out too far from the wall.

So if I understand this correctly, that piece of copper pipe was there before you removed the old shower arm and by the looks of its length, must have stuck into the old shower arm. I must assume there are some shower arms made that will accept the insertion of a 1/2" nominal copper tube.

Similar to the way these toilet supplies got connected.
chrome-plated-brass-brasscraft-shut-off-valves-ktcs40x-c-64_1000.jpg

1] Cut the wall and fix the problem

2] recommendation if you do not want to cut the wall

1] https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/cont...ter?searchText=1/2''+brass+slip+x+mip+adapter

solder that on the end of the copper pipe

2]
https://www.sloanplumbingparts.com/repair-parts/flushometer/accessories/sweat-solder-kits
or equivalent.

3]
https://www.ferguson.com/category?N...chKeyWord=1/2''++brass+chrome+45+degree+elbow
1/2'' brass 45 degree elbow

ok....
install the 1/2'' thread so that the chrome sweat kit tube, is ''sandwiched'' between wall and 45

install a short 1/2'' chrome nipple then shower head

I think Diehard hit the nail on the head with that shower arm adapter; if it worked before, it'll work now. I really like the feature that there's no threaded joint hidden behind the tile that might leak.

Last edited:
Easiest fix now would be to sweat on a 1/2" female adapter to the copper pipe, screw the shower arm onto it, and hide the whole mess somehow. I think Diehard hit the nail on the head with that shower arm adapter.
I spent a longtime yesterday, looking for what was there before, and had no luck. Today, being a "diehard", I tried one more time, and BAM, it came right up.:eek:

Latest posts

Back