un-sticking Caleffi twistflow actuator

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftcoaster

Reaction score
I have Caleffi radiant manifolds with their twistflow actuators. Some zones are getting a lot of heat while others are not getting heat. A likely explanation is that the valve is stuck open or closed, so it's not responsive to the thermostat in either direction.

From what I've read, I need to gently whack a pin that is connected to the internal plunger and then put some WD40 on it. But I can't find any documentation about how to access that pin on the Caleffi actuators and I"m reluctant to start unscrewing things without knowing what's under pressure.

Any tips?

Attachments

• 6686f5s1a-4.jpg
    6686f5s1a-4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
I's skip the WD40. had this problem on one of their twist flow actuators for a friend a few years ago. After cleaning, I lubed the pin with a tiny bit of REM oil. There hasn't been a call back, so perhaps the REM Oil is still working.

The documentation that Breplumb was kind enough to link explains the mechanics.

If you see scale on the pin, a gentle cleaning with vinegar, followed by a baking soda water rinse (to neutralize the acid) will help. No Scrubbing Allowed. You may also consider using a boiler treatment to stop scale and build up & scavange any oxygen. Molybdate based work well if allowed in your state.

Latest posts

Back