Two well system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moccasin

Reaction score
as built.jpg

A few months back I had an issue with my main water pump so ran a temporary line from the sprinkler well until such time as I could repair the main well system. It turned out the water pressure and quality were better in the sprinkler well so I decided to change the system. Below is what I wound up with after a bit of investigating. I’ve been using this arrangement for several months and it is working well. I did wonder if throttling the submersible pump would cause it to overheat but checked the current draw which drops as the flow go down and the cycle stop valve never completely stops the flow.

This system allows the submersible pump to supply water to both the sprinklers and the house without any action required by persons. The sprinkler system continues to operate as originally intended. The motor controller is disconnected from the timer as pressure switch A now controls the submersible pump. When the sprinkler timer calls for water, it supplies power only to the solenoid valve to open it and allow water to flow to the mechanical indexing sprinkler valve. Pressure switch A sends 220 volts direct to the submersible pump through the now disconnected controller housing to power the pump. When the pressure falls below 40 psi, the pressure switch turns the pump on regardless of whether it is the sprinklers or the house calling for water. The cycle stop valve will keep the submersible pump running constantly as long as a few GPM is being used, which prolongs the life of the pump. It also keeps a consistent pressure on the system. No more hot bursts of water when a toilet is flushed elsewhere in the house.

Latest posts

Back