two showers one drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineer

Reaction score
Daughter purchased B&B and upgrading two baths that are back to back. Floor joist already well hacked up. Uncommon question is can two showers with individual traps go to one common 2 inch drain? NYS code seems to say yes given that shower is 2 dfu and a 2 inch drain can handle 6 dfu. Attached is picture of mess present contractor has made. DWV is all copper with new drain is PVC and as can be seen in pic the shower drains would line up in same bay as one trap in picture. Need anything else let me know do have other pic's which can attach. I have been telling her to get a plumber, but you know kids!

DSCF0001.jpg

I see a lot of "tee's" laying around and not a "wye" or combination "wye/1/8 bend" in sight

a "tee" SHALL not be used in the horizonital position on a sewer,

it is a Vertical fitting only.

all horizonital drainage SHALL be done thru a directional fitting "WYE"

I cant tell where the second ptrap is going to be installed, I see a tee, is that the proposed location ? or a vent.

my advice, STOP, reinforce that floor. AS in sister NEW 2x8 to the old

Contractor doing work is in over his head, therefore all the fittings laying around that you see. I suspect the tee you see in the 2 inch line is for a sink yet to be located somewhere beyond where the plywood piece is. I have not laid a level to see if there is a fall on that drain, though there was an existing shower that drained. the trap shown would be an elbow then be connected to two traps located in the same bay.

I am working on reinforcing the structure, just would like to know if two showers can go to one 2 inch drain. If not my method of floor reinforcement must be modified.

2 showers can by code drain into a single 2'' line , if, the fixture units already on that line, do not add up over the limit

it would save money in the long run, to get a pro to install the drainage. if not done correctly
the floor will have to be opened at a later date and the piping fixed.

good luck

pipes33.jpg

Last edited:
Back