Two New Problems with This Forum Only

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

skeezix

Reaction score
Two things:

#1. For the last couple of days I have to log in. For the year previous to the last two days, I did not have to log in. This happens only for this forum (so far). I've checked several other forums and I do not have this problem with them. Has something in the forum changed?

#2. When I am creating a message or responding to one, I can place my insertion point anywhere in the message but I cannot swipe forward or backward. If I want to delete something I have written I have to place the insertion point and then use Delete or Backspace to get rid of anything. Again, this is only with this forum. Has something changed?

I am using Windows 10 update 19xx and Firefox 74.0.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Our IT folks are working on the issues. I actually had to change from Firefox back to Chrome to solve my staying logged on issue.

Mitchell-DIY-Guy

Reaction score
Same problems on a Mac OSX, exactly.

Validating the fact that the three words I fear the most with anything related to technology or software:

“New and improved”

As soon as something is working and stable, an “update” of “improvements” devolves the situation...which then requires yet another update...

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Type in the forum address www.plumbingforums.com and let the page come up. Clear cookies and refresh screen. Save this page and replace in your favorites. Delete the old one.

On app, uninstall and reinstall.

The highlight not showing, I've reported and that should be fixed soon. Once you can see the highlight you will be able to highlight and delete.

skeezix

Reaction score
Type in the forum address www.plumbingforums.com and let the page come up. Clear cookies and refresh screen. Save this page and replace in your favorites. Delete the old one.

On app, uninstall and reinstall.

The highlight not showing, I've reported and that should be fixed soon. Once you can see the highlight you will be able to highlight and delete.
I'm not about to clear my cookies just because one website suddenly doesn't work. And I'm certainly not going to uninstall and reinstall Firefox. Why don't you just fix the problem?

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Clearing cache and cookies is something we all should be doing regularly to keep our computers running at full performance.

Mitchell-DIY-Guy

Reaction score
My two cents, FWIW:

Clearing the cache and cookies is not something you need to do on a Macintosh unless you run into an issue with a website that requires it. I can go a very long time without having to do any such thing and my computer is running at peak performance due to the nature of OS X and it’s UNIX based architecture. If you do clear the cache and cookies you end up having to re-login for every website which means tracking down passwords which you may not have used for months or even years. In other words it’s a royal PIA.

There are people who love Firefox and there are people who love Chrome for one reason or another and that’s great. But for most of society we are either using a PC or Macintosh and in that case websites and programs need to be able to use the native browser for Windows as well as the native browser for Mac which is called Safari.

There are actually companies whose websites are so programmed that they require somebody to use chrome or Firefox or they consistently exhibit problems on safari. It’s a very small number which indicates it’s just sloppy programming. When I run into a company like this I just go to their competition. More often than not I go to revisit them and they’ve fixed the problem.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I apologize, as I totally forgot you about Mac users. I do know with any forum using this Xenforo format, an update was required. I also know some sites were an easy transition, and others not so easy. Why this one is being difficult, I don't know but if I was the owner, I'd be firing this IT support group, but since I am just a volunteer helping out here, all I am trying to do is keep us connected to those who need and want help.

skeezix

Reaction score
That was a fleeting thought that I forgot about. I just tried it. Followed the preceding instructions. Then I closed FF, reopened it and went to this forum. Still logged in. We'll see what happens tomorrow! Thank you for the reminder!

Last edited:

skeezix

Reaction score
The fix that Angie posted appears to works nicely, although it is poorly worded and hard (for me) to understand. I inferred from that post that ALL cookies should be cleared and that's just not the case.

To remove certain cookies in Firerfox:

1. At the top of the Firefox window, click Tools > Options.

2. On the left of the Options page, click "Privacy & Security".

3. Scroll about halfway down the "Privacy & Security" page to "Cookies and Site Data".

4. Click "Manage Data". A Manage Cookies and Site Data list appears. (BTW, I left "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" unchecked.)

5. In the "Search websites" field, type in "plumbingforums.com". (NOTE: You could also type in the name of any site that contains cookies you want to clear). No need to hit the Enter key because in a second or so, everything with "plumbingforums.com" will appear.

6. Highlight (select) whatever includes "plumbingforums" and then click "Remove Selected". If more than one entry appears, you may need to repeat this action for each entry.

7. When no more entries appear after you type in "plumbingforums" (or whatever other site data you've typed in), click "Save" and close out the Options dialog.

Those steps work for me. ;)

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
@skeezix Thanks for wording it better for you and others.

It is clear cookies for this forum only if you wish. Not all of your cookies.

Latest posts