two float switch for gray water tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkelly

Reaction score
We have a gray water tank and need to pump water out. We need a two float system to implement the concept of run the pump when full and stop when empty. There is a strong preference to not penetrate the walls of the tank so we need two float switches that are completely submersible. The water is to be pumped about 50 feet through ¾ in inch pipe, but less than 5 foot head. I have been advised that a ½ hp motor is preferred. The duty cycle will be well below 5 percent and each run time is expected to be a minute or less.

We have drawn up a one relay connection and can put that in an external box. I suspect someone sells a two float kit of this nature but cannot find it.

My searches have been in vain. Where can I find float/switches that will suffice for this? The submersible pump seems to be easy enough but am happy to hear any advice on that.

Thank you for your time.

The last few effluent pumps I bought came with the float. Typically, small systems use one float, It turns the pump on when it goes high enough, and shuts it off when it drops again. A little more complex, is the addition of a latching or delay relay, which either latches in the pump in the on position for a period f time after the float drops, or delays it for a time after it rises.

Do a search for effluent pump. Most of them come with the float assembly.

Back