Tubing is not PEX but gray and slightly different diameter. What is it?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nation99

Reaction score
Need to move the supply line to a bathroom vanity to accommodate a new vanity. The existing line is a composite(?) material similar to PEX but not the same diameter. I'll need to adapt to PEX to make the changes. Can anyone tell me what kind of material this is or what kind of adapter I'll need? Thanks, Dave

Could be polybutylene.

It was recalled years ago, but still is in many houses and mobile homes.

Sharkbite makes a polybutylene to pex transition coupling.

Home Depot or Amazon should have them.

If it is polybutylene, don’t move it around or stress it any more than you have to.
And one of the weak points can be right where it joins other materials or fittings, especially at the crimp ring.

I am not sure your old stuff is polybutylene.
You could snip off a piece, and ask a plumbing supply place to verify it.

Or, if it fits properly into the adapter coupling, on the gray side, you are good to go.

Make nice clean straight cuts, no burrs or defects that could nick the o rings inside the sharkbite couplings.
Outside of old polybutylene has to be clean, no crud, dust, etc.

I recently moved into a house, that had been re-piped with Polybutylene back in the 80's..... I had a plumber replace it all with PVC up to the house from water meter, then CPVC under the house (his recommendation) This was strictly because insurer would not cover house for water damage, until PB was all replaced..... when I researched this issue, the sites I found said that it was NOT the PB that was the issue, it was the copper/brass tees / couplers / etc, that corroded and failed, (it was mentioned that at least *some* manufacturers sourced them from CHINA.......) Also, if you google PEX, this has also been an issue for *SOME* brands of PEX (metal connectors corroding and failing, over time)

Thanks to all for your comments/suggestions! I have not opened the wall yet, but have seen the tubing elsewhere in my condo and it is gray in color. Will be sure to have clean cuts and surfaces. Much appreciated advice! Dave

Latest posts

Back