tub trip lever stopper sizing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dianedebuda

Reaction score
Son purchased house with no trip lever drain stoppers on tubs.

Tried PF linkage stopper from HD on what appears to be std tub but can not get water to stop at any level. Used inspection camera to look at drain interior to verify where tub drain connects into down pipe. Suspect Sch 40 pipe used, but not sure. Saw in an old thread something about a compression adapter & wondered if this is something to try. Is this the proper term for the "thing" that can be used for the part at a plumbing supply?

The other tub is a Jacuzzi-type - no idea of brand - that is taller than a standard tub. I have not personally looked at this one yet, but my son said he tried to put a PF linkage stopper down and could not get much of the linkage down the pipe. Tub seems to drain ok, but I guess it is possible there's something stuck in there. How to determine size needed?

House is on a slab. Neither of these tubs have access panels & not willing to cut holes in walls just for convenience of having trip lever drain stoppers.

How I miss my plumbing supply store that closed when the owner retired...

The brand of the tub has no real baring on the drain assembly. Get rid of linkage type and pipe with a watco type drain. The other is good for nothing but clogs.

I think SHEPLMBR is on the right track with this one. You may have a common Watco, or other name brand waste and overflow, piped in with plastic piping and the plunger is too small and dropping into the tee. You may only need a cover plate for the overflow and a pop-up/lift and turn style drain stopper that screws into the drain. Try to post some pictures of the waste and overflow on the tub.

SHEPLMBR:
The brand of the tub has no real baring on the drain assembly.
That's what I thought. Watco drain is new to me. Will investigate, but don't think he'd like it.

Caduceus:
the plunger is too small and dropping into the tee
That appears to be what's happening. That's why I was trying to ask about the compression adapter I read about in an old thread. Suspected it is not the "correct" name for the gizmo.

This thread is worthless without pics.
Sorry, but just didn't think there was anything to see. Stupid me? The tub that I looked at just had a cover plate on the overflow; the drain just has a cross about an inch down - something like http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tNMKeEEuV...AAAvQ/j7cQx1AN8wA/s400/Broken+tub+drain.1.JPG

frodo:
pull the linkage out, hold it up to the overflow,,,line up the bolt holes, if the stopper does not touch the strainer
its to short.
Linkage is not too short - verified that with inspection camera in addition to measuring.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

SHEPLMBR: That's what I thought. Watco drain is new to me. Will investigate, but don't think he'd like it.

Caduceus: That appears to be what's happening. That's why I was trying to ask about the compression adapter I read about in an old thread. Suspected it is not the "correct" name for the gizmo.

Sorry, but just didn't think there was anything to see. Stupid me? The tub that I looked at just had a cover plate on the overflow; the drain just has a cross about an inch down - something like http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tNMKeEEuV...AAAvQ/j7cQx1AN8wA/s400/Broken+tub+drain.1.JPG

frodo: Linkage is not too short - verified that with inspection camera in addition to measuring.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

i see your name diane de buda.
i lived in buda, faircrest subdivision, directly behind cabelas, before cabelas was there. my favorite taco shack of all time was the hermosa caboose
. miss that little town.

http://www.decorisland.com/products/delta/rp31558/tub-drain/chrome/

what i would do, remove the tub drain from the tub,
take it to ferguson plumbing supply
and have the guys give you the correct tippy toe drain assembly to fit your tub.

looking at your drain, you will need a tub tool, home depot has them

th

Last edited:
So you think this was a pop-up type drain or that's the only option? Gosh, didn't know those existed for tubs. Probably causes all the same headaches as sinks' and why they were among the missing. The 4-plex that I owned & personally maintained for 40+ years had drains that looked just like this, but they had trip levers. He'll probably be as well off with the rubber stoppers that he already bought. :)

Yes, I'm in Buda - actually the "suburbs of Buda". Been here a long, long time. Before there was a stoplight. When Christmas decorations were 3 strings of lights hung on Main St. :D

So you think this was a pop-up type drain or that's the only option? Gosh, didn't know those existed for tubs. Probably causes all the same headaches as sinks' and why they were among the missing. The 4-plex that I owned & personally maintained for 40+ years had drains that looked just like this, but they had trip levers. He'll probably be as well off with the rubber stoppers that he already bought. :)

Yes, I'm in Buda - actually the "suburbs of Buda". Been here a long, long time. Before there was a stoplight. When Christmas decorations were 3 strings of lights hung on Main St. :D

here is a chuckle for you. moved from Buda to Bude true,

Back