Tub spout height?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanne

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out if there are any rules about maximum or minimum height of a tub spout above a tub. I read that 4" is the normal height, but can it go to 5"?
I ask because the wall kit I got has a decorative ledge at 19.25" high above the tub edge. The shower trim I'm getting is 7.5" diameter and the specs recommend having the center of the valve be 8" to 18" from the center of the tub spout. In order to get the trim just above the ledge I would need to have it at 23" (or 23.25"). In order to have the 18" distance max, I would need to have the tub spout be at 5". Would this be OK? Tub is 15" deep. Would having the spout higher create splashing? Would it cause any problems if I had 19" instead of 18" from valve to spout centers?
It's a Delta Multichoice shower/tub valve with a Delta Lahara dualstatic trim (has 2 levers on 1 opening).
I'm including stock photos of the shower that has the details of the ledge.
Main person using the shower is 6'3" and is unlikely to actually take baths but bath kit was cheaper than shower kit & we wanted to have 2 full baths in the house since we're eliminating one of the baths and replacing a shower with a showertub combo.
SterlingPerforma.png

Any thoughts or suggestions?

TL: DR?
1. Put spout 4" above tub & have 19" distance between spout valve & centers (1" beyond max distance recommended for valve)?
OR
2. Put spout 5" above tub & have 18" distance between spout & valve centers.

You just need to have minimum tub spout clear 1" above tub overflow.
That 1" relates to backflow/cross contamination.
Most shower valves distance-to-spout is completely up to you.
The only thing is that some mfrs. now state in their instructions not to use 1/2" PEX between valve and tub spout if you are also running a shower leg (bc the smaller dia. of PEX is not compatible with flow at the tub spout).

Thanks, breplum. I was worried that the tub spout being higher might cause more splashing when the water is first turned on, but it probably wouldn't splash higher than the tub walls if it did. I do wonder what height the tub spout would have to be in order for the water to hit terminal velocity on it's way down. I know it would depend on the pressure.

I got copper pipes for my spout but the water supply for the showerhead & valve will be PEX. I suppose the rules for the distance is to maximize water pressure to the tub spout.

You could be right on that. I think I will go with a higher tub spout to get within the 18" max limit recommended. I've heard some people put their tub spouts 6" high. I might do that to make the spout easier to reach for taller people.

I know this is an old thread, but I've decided to put the shower control valve at 24" (center) above the tub and the spout at 6" above the tub to make it easier to reach with less bending. I'm still trying to decide on the height of the shower arm. I'm thinking 80" (above the floor) would clear the flange. Does that sound like a reasonable height?

18” tub spout drop is pushing the limits, don’t go any farther. You don’t have high pressure so you’re probably good.

18” tub spout drop is pushing the limits, don’t go any farther. You don’t have high pressure so you’re probably good.
Thanks. It said the max is 18 so that is what I'm going for. I think my water pressure is around 40psi. Not sure. I know my jet pump is 30/50 so that puts it around 40psi. It goes into the pressure tank after that and I have no clue what the pressure tank is set at.

I know this is an older thread, but has anybody installed the drop for the tub spout longer than the 18" on a Delta Multi Choice shower valve? If so, any issues? The tub/shower I'm installing is going to be mainly used for showering, so wanted the controls up a bit higher, but delta recommends only an 18" drop..

I know this is an older thread, but has anybody installed the drop for the tub spout longer than the 18" on a Delta Multi Choice shower valve? If so, any issues? The tub/shower I'm installing is going to be mainly used for showering, so wanted the controls up a bit higher, but delta recommends only an 18" drop..
Sorry I can't answer that. I put the tub spout at about 5-1/2" (used the existing hole for a diverter) and the center of controls at 18" above the center of the tub spout on the tub/shower in my bathroom. I still have not installed the tub/shower I mentioned in the start of this thread.

According to the literature from Delta's website-- anything less than 8" or greater than 18" could cause backflow problems for the showerhead.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.. Yeah, I guess I will install it the way they recommend. I just don't like that I am limited to their max height of 18". Puts the shower valve lower than I would like.

You can do what I did and put the tub spout up a little higher. I'm still going to go with 6" on the other tub for the guest bathroom. I ended up having the glue up surround falling down in my bathroom and discovered there was water damage and termite damage behind.

The height limitation is annoying, but it actually worked out for me because I can reach it while sitting on the toilet if I need to quickly rinse my hands under the tub spout. Probably TMI. LOL. If you go with the style of trim I got, its easy to just grab the lever and turn it even for a taller person.

You can do what I did and put the tub spout up a little higher. I'm still going to go with 6" on the other tub for the guest bathroom. I ended up having the glue up surround falling down in my bathroom and discovered there was water damage and termite damage behind.

The height limitation is annoying, but it actually worked out for me because I can reach it while sitting on the toilet if I need to quickly rinse my hands under the tub spout. Probably TMI. LOL. If you go with the style of trim I got, its easy to just grab the lever and turn it even for a taller person.
👍

Just as a mini update, my shower controls are low enough that I was able to reach up with my foot to shut the water off while I was in the bath. I had to stretch, but was able to do it so I could lie in the tub while it was filling.

Moen only gives you 11"

1705506601893.png

The note at the side says: " Installation of this product at non-recommended measurements may lead to issues such as water discharge from the showerhead during tub fill mode."

Back