Tub/Shower Faucet Recommendation Please

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSkyHigh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a high quality setup, possibly known as a "three handle" unit, for our 25 year old tub and shower setup with the pull up diverter for activating the shower. The main goal is to eliminate the pull up diverter spout which is a never ending problem with the quality of water we have and the replacement device should be of high quality and with a very long life hopefully outliving me.

Any links to a manufacturer and a product line that would meet my requirements?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Single handle Moen. Turn the knob CCW from off to on from cold to hot. If I need to cut a hole in the closet’s drywall to access the back and cut some new holes and do tile work that’s no biggie.

Look up Delta Single handle tub and shower faucet with push button divertor. You would have to cut in an access
in your closet to replace the whole valve. These divertors are built right in the faucet body.

Delta spouts are much better than most.

I would put a diverter spout before I would a push button

Just an FYI, non pressure balancing faucets are required to have a thermal mixing valve limiting the water temperature to 120 degrees by code. Just something to be aware of if getting inspected or selling.

Delta spouts are much better than most.

I would put a diverter spout before I would a push button
Personal preference or do you feel there's something inherently wrong with the design of the push button diverters?

The reason I am looking is that I am tired of changing out the spout, purchased at a local big box store, every year and a half to two years due to the lift up mechanism getting so gunked up or whatever that they refuse to fall due to gravity even after the water pressure in the column of water in the pipe leading to the shower head has leaked away.

I've tried soaking the thing in vinegar, dilute CLR, full strength CLR, spraying with WD-40 (probably a bad idea because it can swell natural rubber, etc.) spraying with silicone lube etc. all to any long term solution so I am thinking something effecting a more "positive" up/down is the only thing that will satisfy me. Of course, getting rid of the tub altogether which we never use is an option as well.

Delta spouts are made different. They’re also guaranteed for life.

But so are the push button faucets they sell.

My house I’d go with the diverter spout.

Latest posts

Back