tub overflow leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike G

Reaction score
Water is leaking out of the overflow line on a tub when my grand kids take a bath. I removed the gasket with the intention of simply installing a new gasket. Unfortunately, the overflow line is misaligned with a BIG gap at the top of the overflow line. The overflow line is properly "centered" with tub opening but is NOT "square" to the tub opening. Apparently the previous owner did a remodel and filled the gap between the gasket and tub with some rubbery "caulk". I have no easy access to the overflow line. The overflow line is in an outside wall (second story). Kitchen cabinets prevent access from below.
Installing the new beveled gasket with the fat part on the top of the tub helps close the gap but does not eliminate it. This arrangement also doesn't give me much gasket to seal the bottom part of the tub. Any suggestions?
Do they make thicker beveled gaskets? Can I stack two gaskets? If so, what type of adhesive do I use to keep them from shifting during/after installation? Is there a suitable "caulk" or "sealant" to fill the gap at the top of the gasket? Thanks in advance for you help

I would make access and have it installed properly. Consider all other repairs temporary.

With the fat part of the gasket at the top doesn't it close the gap when you tighten it down. If you
can fit two gaskets together in between then try it. Use super glue or something to hold them together.

With the fat part of the gasket at the top doesn't it close the gap when you tighten it down. If you
can fit two gaskets together in between then try it. Use super glue or something to hold them together.
Yeah, superglue or something. 👍

Actually, two gaskets might work.
One with the fat side facing up, the other with the fat side rotated 90 degrees towards the side with the gap.
Maybe try two thinner gaskets?
Super glue might melt them?
Silicone would not.

If you want an excellent gasket maker, try some plumbers goop.

A tube got punctured in my tool bag and leaked out on my tubing cutters.
Dried over the weekend in 95 degree heat.

To get the cutters out of my bag I had to stand on the bag with both feet and grab the cutters with channel locks and pull with both hands.

Its like liquid rubber bands.
Get some for $6 and try it then come back and tell me how right I am......I

Latest posts

Back