Tub Overflow Cover Broken Off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben W.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

The plastic that holds the screw for my tub's overflow broke off. Lowe's told me that I would need to pull the entire tub out and replace the whole overflow/drain setup in order to repair. Is there an easier solution to hold the overflow cover up? The tub is tiled into place and this would be a lot of work to pull out the tub just to fix the overflow cover.

is there a name on the chrome cover plate???....can you get to the back of the tub???you may be able to buy a waste ad over flow kit and just replace the top part

Several manufacturers make tub wastes with a metal cross bar with a threaded hole in the middle and holes on each end. Drill through the holes on the end into the existing plastic waste and use long self tapping screws. Install new cover plate and have a cold one.

Several manufacturers make tub wastes with a metal cross bar with a threaded hole in the middle and holes on each end. Drill through the holes on the end into the existing plastic waste and use long self tapping screws. Install new cover plate and have a cold one.
that could be a good save!!!

So I don't think that will work. I would have to drill into the tub which I would then be worrying about leaks, and even if I did, it's too close to the otherflow.

20190107_083552.jpg

With the screw loose, you slip in one end of the back tab into the overflow hole, slide the assembly over until, you can slip the other end into the hole. Then slide it over until the screw and facia are centered, and tighten the screw, to clamp it into place.

Latest posts

Back