Tub Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Hosie

Reaction score
Hello,
I just joined this site and I'd like to say hello to everyone. In no way should I be considered a plumber so please keep that in mind when you read my question:) I'm in serious need of some expert help. I live in a small apartment by myself and yesterday I tried putting in a new "Foot Lok Stop Drain Assembly" in the bathtub because calling one of the maintenance guys is about a three-month wait. The threads in the flange part that the pop-up screws into were stripped so I bought the item I listed above at the local Lowes store. I asked the plumber in the plumbing section how would I go about changing the entire unit and the advice he gave me was to put a Crescent wrench between two of the crosshairs and then use a screwdriver in the hole at the top of the wrench. After putting the wrench in and I tried turning it, the crosshairs broke and now I just have an open hole without any type of drain. I had one of those rubber stoppers so I'm using that for now, but I would like some advice on how to go about removing the bottom portion of the drain(flange part)? I'm afraid if I can't replace the unit I'll end up buying an entire tub assembly, including the surround because it's all one piece which i don't want to have to do!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Doug, you should probably have purchased the correct tool to take that piece out of the shoe. I sent a picture of it for installing
the new one. If you get online and look up tub drain removal tool you will see they make different one's to take that piece
out since the cross piece is broken out. If you have access to the back of the tub that is where you change the whole drain
assembly. You don't need to replace the tub and surround to do this.tub drain tool.jpg

Doug, you should probably have purchased the correct tool to take that piece out of the shoe. I sent a picture of it for installing
the new one. If you get online and look up tub drain removal tool you will see they make different one's to take that piece
out since the cross piece is broken out. If you have access to the back of the tub that is where you change the whole drain
assembly. You don't need to replace the tub and surround to do this.View attachment 22508

Hi Tom,
Thank you very much for your help with my problem. Thanks for the picture also, I couldn't figure out how to blow it up so I could see the detail, but I'll take your advice and look online. Another member suggested that I look on Amazon for one and I did and it looked like a big Easy-Out. It said it would work for tub drains an inch and a half in diameter, but when I measured mine it was an inch and three quarters in diameter? Are they normally an inch and a half in diameter or do they make these tools in different sizes? I was greatly relieved to hear that they actually made tools for this type of problem and I was almost positive that it wouldn't be found on Amazon.com!! What I'm extremely happy about is that I joined this site and got to talk to experts like yourself otherwise without knowing about the tools I might have ended up replacing the entire shower unit!! Thanks again Tom

assembly. You don't need to replace the tub and surround to do this.View attachment 22508

Hi Tom, I just wanted to let you know that I have ordered one of those tools from Amazon and it should be here tomorrow.
I'm anxious to see if it'll work. I'll let you know. Thanks again.

No, the one that I showed you is what I use to install the new one's with the cross in the middle. You did good. The one you ordered
hopefully will unscrew that old one out. Good Luck.........

Anytime you try to remove a tub drain flange you put stress on the underlaying drain pieces. Which is fine if you have access to the bottom of the drain. And there's a good chance that they will start to leak.
I have been using these: Watco Lift & Turn Tub Stopper 48300-CP from Amazon for years with very good results. You clean up the drain, silicone this in place ( the oversize flange covers the old one) and voila, you're in business. No stress on existing drain piping.

No, the one that I showed you is what I use to install the new one's with the cross in the middle. You did good. The one you ordered
hopefully will unscrew that old one out. Good Luck.........

Hi Tom,
I received the drain removal tool today and it worked like a charm(thank God). When I first put the tool in and tapped on the top with a hammer it didn't seem to go very far into the drain to really sit well, but all I needed to do was tap a little harder and out it came. Thank you for all your interest and help!!

Latest posts

Back