Tub drain slightly misaligned can't screw tub basket back on

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reg

Reaction score
Ceiling in bathroom was leaking and the source was the tub drain in the floor above. Removed tub basket, plumbers putty was disintegrated. Now, the problem is that the shoe underneath is a few millimeters forward (see picture) and when I try to screw the tub basket back on, it gets stuck and I don't want to force as to not strip it. I am also trying to avoid ripping the ceiling in the bathroom below the leak as it is a tile ceiling. There is limited access to the drain from the wall. Can anyone suggest a solution.

I tried to push the drain, from the wall, but it won't budge at all. It could be because there is some cement around it. Maybe use a chisel to break around the cement. Access from the side wall is limited.

drain shoe.jpg

tub drain.jpg
20201019_184031.jpg

Can you pull back a bit and re-take the pictures?

Would it be possible to use a dremel tool and grind away part of the white tub that is over the drain?

Maybe you are cross threading it?

You could add some teflon dope to the threads to lubricate it, so it screws in easier.

I like DShow’s idea to carefully remove a sliver of the white tub plastic where it hangs over.

Trying to bang or force the shoe to move it sounds like a leak or worse will be the end result.

Back