Tub Drain Overflow Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFitz

Reaction score
Basically I have a tub drain overflow leak and I need a solution to fix it. I'm a DIY'er but I can't figure out a solution to completely stop the leak from happening again in the future. Is there a better solution other than using a rubber gasket like the one below shown to stick on to the tub? I'm also trying to find a way to change a rotational overflow cover with a plastic stick stuck in the middle that can't be removed from the pipe. So I can't screw in anything. What do I do to get this all fixed?
IMG_4784.JPG IMG_5009.JPG IMG_5013.JPG IMG_5020.JPG IMG_5021.JPG IMG_5116.JPG IMG_5117.JPG

You could try the parts from the bottom photos, but I wouldn't.
Professionally speaking: That all plastic drain is not the best of products...
Install a Geberit tub drain, which is designed with metal embedded thread assemblies.
They come in glue type or tubular, and match the distance from drain to overflow, so check your specs before ordering, It will have to be installed from below or behind.
I recommend a plumber do this work.

Last edited:
Thanks I think I found a matching piece set for it finally. My other question is does the rubber gasket after putting on the pvc drain overflow pipe need to be glued with silicone sealant onto the tub? Would that prevent it from coming off the tub? There was also a big rubber washer that was I think silicone sealant glued to the inside of the tub drain overflow first. The youtube videos I saw were basically just no glue or silicone sealant and no big rubber washer in tub.

The overflow does get a gasket between the tub and the overflow opening, typically a tapered foam but sometimes not tapered. A small amount of silicone is not called for, but can't hurt either. Sometimes the angles of the overflow to the tub do not match well.

The drain always has a hard rubber gasket between the "shoe" fitting and the tub. No silicone on that gasket as it wants friction to not ooze when everything is being tightened.

Latest posts

Back