Tub Drain Box Out

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brdkey

Reaction score
I currently have a house in South Carolina with a slab foundation. I am going to replace my tub/surround soon. My house was built in the 1980s. Is it common for the tub drain/overflow pipe to be slabbed into the concrete or a acess left open for future repair/replacement? I've looked everywhere online and can't find this info. I guess they are called box outs, is it code or common to have one?

Last edited:
Although box outs are relatively common today, I don't see them as being required in my plumbing code.
But either way, I don't think you'll know what to expect until you pull the tub.
Even if they didn't use a box out when pouring the slab, there's a chance they broke open an area of the slab for final connection.
Which you may have to do depending on what you find.

Although box outs are relatively common today, I don't see them as being required in my plumbing code.
But either way, I don't think you'll know what to expect until you pull the tub.
Even if they didn't use a box out when pouring the slab, there's a chance they broke open an area of the slab for final connection.
Which you may have to do depending on what you find.

Can i access it from the back wall? How hard would that be to knock out the concrete?

Okay so I ended up tearing out a rectangle of sheetrock directly behind my tub. This is what I found. It appears to be in the floor. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20191021_095238.jpg
    20191021_095238.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
So Ripping the drywall out a little further it's definitely concreted it in. What are the chances of being able to keep that pipe where it is and everything lining up on the new tub?

If you go back in with the same width of unit it will line up. They are made in the center of the width. If it doesn’t you could probably get a pair of 11.25 degree angles and offset it.

Yeah I am getting the same width tub. What about the distance from the frame backwards? Would that be the same? Another thing I have to do is the Overflow is going to be taller but that's the least of my concerns.

Latest posts

Back