Trying To Replace Old Toilet Flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m renovating a bathroom and have come across something I’ve never encountered. The old toilet flange is under a ‘lip’ that’s connected to the cast iron drain such that the lip is preventing the old flange from being removed. When I tile, I suppose it’s possible to reuse the old flange, but I’d rather replace it. It almost looks like the pipe with the lip was inserted into the cast iron drain, but it won’t move. The thought occurred to just cut the lip off with an angle grinder, but I thought I’d check here before proceeding. Please see image and feel free to ask questions if I haven’t made the situation clear.

Thanks in advance - LIA

P.S. I’ve had an old towel stuffed into the drain to keep debris from falling into the pipe during demo. I removed the rag today and a mass of insects flew out of the drain. Never had that happen before. Disgusting.

Attachments

• IMG_8292.jpeg
    IMG_8292.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
It looks like a lead closet bend. Lead pipe is completely obsolete and we insist it be replaced whenever encountered.

It looks like a lead closet bend. Lead pipe is completely obsolete and we insist it be replaced whenever encountered.
The pipe itself may go into a closet bend, but what you see in the pic isn’t the closet bend itself. I can see straight down at least 18”, maybe more. The homeowner isn’t going to allow the floor to be removed to replace that pipe.

I’m still left with how to deal with removing the old flange and replacing it. Can I cut off the lip of that fitting and set a new closet flange on that pipe?

The pipe itself may go into a closet bend, but what you see in the pic isn’t the closet bend itself. I can see straight down at least 18”, maybe more. The homeowner isn’t going to allow the floor to be removed to replace that pipe.

I’m still left with how to deal with removing the old flange and replacing it. Can I cut off the lip of that fitting and set a new closet flange on that pipe?
If you’re not going to replace the lead then you need to cut that flange off by making two cuts 180 degrees from each other.

Then install your finished floor.

Then install your flange over the lead and secure it to the floor. Here’s where you would need to wipe the lead to the brass flange. Most people melt the pipe and it’s ruined. 😬.

Some just tap the lead flat over the flange and seal with wax.

The proper way is to replace it or wipe the lead to the brass.

If you’re not going to replace the lead then you need to cut that flange off by making two cuts 180 degrees from each other.

Then install your finished floor.

Then install your flange over the lead and secure it to the floor. Here’s where you would need to wipe the lead to the brass flange. Most people melt the pipe and it’s ruined. 😬.

Some just tap the lead flat over the flange and seal with wax.

The proper way is to replace it or wipe the lead to the brass.

The lip you see in the pic isn’t lead. I cut out and replace lead joints periodically. This is steel of some sort. The lip certainly can’t be tapped over.

A new flange won’t fit over the lip shown in the pic. That’s why I asked if I could just remove the lip by cutting it off. Cutting out the old flange isn’t the issue, as that’s easy enough.

Thanks. I think I’ll still have to cut the lip off, but that’s no trouble. Appreciate the help!

Back